Front Sway Bar / Bushing Question

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Front Sway Bar / Bushing Question

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:55 pm

With new front sway bushings, should the sway bar still be able to move, and rotate when the links are not connected?

My front sway bar does not move easily. Need to knock it pretty hard with a hammer to get it to budge...

Is this normal?

Bushings are "newer", replaced a year ago, and I thought they should be snug on the bar, but allow it to rotate within the bushing.

Thanks for any insight.

silverarrow27

Re: Front Sway Bar / Bushing Question

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Did you grease the bushings when you installed it?

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 pm

I think the bushing came with factory grease. I've just pulled the bar out this evening, and there is grease there. But the fitting is very tight around the bar when installed.

As an example, you would need a 3 lb hammer to slug on it, to get it to move. Really wield it.

Previous to putting in these bushings, the bar moved by hand, almost to where gravity would cause it to drop/rotate

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 pm

If it was able to spin when first installed, it could be that the bushings somehow shrunk maybe due to the cold during the winter? Otherwise, put some more grease. If new grease doesn't help, time for new bushings again.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:44 am

Yep new ones ordered (MOOG) and will compare the fit to the brackets with the sway bar off.

I wonder if the brackets were bent to form the old ones, and I should order new brackets.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:31 am

It would make some sense that it would turn easier in old bushings as the old bushings are likely worn. The bar should turn, but should be stiff. I usually clean off the old rubber off of the sway bar with a Scotch pad and use lithium grease or silicone grease to lube where the inside of the bushing contacts the bar. You should also know that there were problems with the original style bushings in that the sway bar could push through the slit in the bushing and contact the crossmember, making a knocking noise. Not all of the aftermarket bushings have the updated design, so I would recommend using the genuine Nissan bushings as they are inexpensive. The slit in the updated bushings will be in the "corner" of the bushing, which puts solid rubber between the bar and the crossmember and prevents the bar from pushing through the slit, which previously sat in that location. There was a TSB on the issue years ago.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you for the insight, it is appreciated. I did inspect the bushing area, and it was quite clean, on the bar. Almost new.

The previous bushings I had on it, a year ago (presumed Nissan ones), seemed a bit smaller and had a lot less rubber to them. Could just be the age. I recall vividly last year, when I changed the bushings out, the sway bar would just fall into my hands once disconnected from the links.

I recall that it was a real struggle to get the newer Nissan bushings on last year. I never thought too much about it, until I did the control arms a couple of weeks ago. These were the split type that you mentioned, with the updated design. When I tried to move the bar, I had to wail on it, and I expected after a year of use, they should have some movement. I mean - I would have to to leap onto it from height to get it to rotate. From that assertion, I thought there must be something wrong.

Today, I swapped out to the Moog (I will keep the Nissan ones), and will monitor how they perform.
They appear to have a bit less rubber to them, and seem "a bit" smaller. I didn't have a caliper to check.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”