Headers for V8

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

0856Beater

Headers for V8

Postby 0856Beater » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 pm

During my research I found that a common problem with the V8 in the Pathfinder and Titan is cracked exhaust manifolds. Since I didn't want the trouble of long tube JBA headers to minimize the risks I bought a cheaper set of Pacesetter tubular replacement headers from Carid. Come to find out my exhaust leak was not from the manifold and was an easy fix at the local muffler shop.

I was a bit suprised to find out that once I unpacked the Pacesetter manifolds they are JBA short tube headers with a different brand catalytic converters welded on. They look quite well made from my untrained eye but I do believe that the replacement is a bit out of my skill level. Soon I will have said muffler shop install them anyway since I already bought them along with a magnaflow muffler and new piping.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Headers for V8

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:33 pm

I am subscribing to your thread as I also have an 08 V8.
Please take pics of the parts before and after install.

Also can you tell us more about your exhaust leak and how it was fixed?

DuckSauce1098

Postby DuckSauce1098 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:49 am

Also subbing as I have a manifold crack.

0856Beater

Postby 0856Beater » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:07 am

May be a bit as I have more pressing issues with the alignment.

stugry

Postby stugry » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:05 am

Im currently replacing my headers and b-pipes and I cant find anywhere that sells a cat back exhaust for the V8 pathfinders. What are you guys planning on using? The stock cat back costs a fortune but it might be the best bet if I cant find anything else. I'd also prefer to add a deeper less restrictive system if possible.

PS -I had to use a carbide sawzall blade to cut through the stock system. Its got holes completely rusted through in parts and then nearly impossible to cut off less than a foot away from the holes. Crazy

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:16 pm

stugry wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:05 am
Im currently replacing my headers and b-pipes and I cant find anywhere that sells a cat back exhaust for the V8 pathfinders. What are you guys planning on using? The stock cat back costs a fortune but it might be the best bet if I cant find anything else. I'd also prefer to add a deeper less restrictive system if possible.

PS -I had to use a carbide sawzall blade to cut through the stock system. Its got holes completely rusted through in parts and then nearly impossible to cut off less than a foot away from the holes. Crazy
I always thought on modern Nissans the stock exhaust is not terribly restrictive but the stock cats are.
If u are doing straight pipes that issue is taken care of.
Also be SURE to get an UPrev tune on a dyno to unlock the actual potential of your breathing improvements.
Its the price of an exhaust but well worth it

stugry

Postby stugry » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:40 am

[/quote]

I always thought on modern Nissans the stock exhaust is not terribly restrictive but the stock cats are.
Also be SURE to get an UPrev tune on a dyno to unlock the actual potential of your breathing improvements.
[/quote]

I'll definitely be getting tuned! Way too much work to cheap out on that step. I would have been fine with the stock exhaust cat back but its rusted to hell and replacing with factory parts is really expensive. If that ends up being the best route, so be it, but itd be nice to get a little bit throatier sound and save a few bucks if possible.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 pm

stugry wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:40 am
[/quote]

I'll definitely be getting tuned! Way too much work to cheap out on that step. I would have been fine with the stock exhaust cat back but its rusted to hell and replacing with factory parts is really expensive. If that ends up being the best route, so be it, but itd be nice to get a little bit throatier sound and save a few bucks if possible.
[/quote]

If your stock exhaust is done, then yes why not aftermarket.
less money and can look/sound nicer

stugry

Postby stugry » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:23 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 pm
stugry wrote:
Update: do any of you all have exhaust shop experience? Got the pathfinder bank from a custom exhaust shop today and it sounded great. Went with a borla proxs muffler. When I looked under it I noticed the exhaust shop cut the flange off the cajun b-pipes and welded the pipes onto them. I cant think of a reason why it matters a ton but those b-pipes were nicer and it would have been nice to have the option to change them on my own in the future if I need to. Why would the shop have done that? Lazy? Or is there a structural reason to prefer the weld over the 2 bolt flange? They also extended the tail pipe about 3 inches past the bumper and it looks stupid as hell to me. I didn't have time to deal with it today but I'll be going back to get the tail pipe flush and want to be prepared with the b-pipe question when I go back.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:32 pm

stugry wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:23 am
palmerwmd wrote:
stugry wrote:
Update: do any of you all have exhaust shop experience? Got the pathfinder bank from a custom exhaust shop today and it sounded great. Went with a borla proxs muffler. When I looked under it I noticed the exhaust shop cut the flange off the cajun b-pipes and welded the pipes onto them. I cant think of a reason why it matters a ton but those b-pipes were nicer and it would have been nice to have the option to change them on my own in the future if I need to. Why would the shop have done that? Lazy? Or is there a structural reason to prefer the weld over the 2 bolt flange? They also extended the tail pipe about 3 inches past the bumper and it looks stupid as hell to me. I didn't have time to deal with it today but I'll be going back to get the tail pipe flush and want to be prepared with the b-pipe question when I go back.
Sounds questionable to me.
Also no reason to extend the tailpipe other than what some folks consider cool.
Maybe they thought they were making it look "cool" for you.

stugry

Postby stugry » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:39 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:32 pm
stugry wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:23 am
palmerwmd wrote:

Sounds questionable to me.
Also no reason to extend the tailpipe other than what some folks consider cool.
Maybe they thought they were making it look "cool" for you.
Even my 11yo said immediately that it NEEDS to go. Said it looked terrible!

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:59 pm

Typical "excuse" will be that the flange is another place where your exhaust can leak and/or that "they" don't make gaskets for it anymore or they couldn't find any that will work. I see that as incompetence and lack of communication on their part which leads to bad customer service because they should have asked if it was okay to do what they did before actually doing it. Now they've got more work to do and hopefully on their dime.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:51 am

It sounds like they ruined your b pipes. I would be pist. and sticking out 3 extra inches. WTF. thats some crap tastic work.

0856Beater

Postby 0856Beater » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:01 am

I still can't find an exhaust shop to install my headers. I have the same tubular JBA ones and a magnaflow muffler. Just need someone to do the install and plumbing. First will be a new radiator and rear wheel bearings. Hopefully I can finish it all and get it undercoated by salty winter.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:17 am

Headers are normally considered aftermarket and most shops won't touch it with a ten foot pole. You're going to have to find a "tuner" shop most likely.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”