2006 Nissan Pathfinder R51 EGR fault (2.5 Diesel)

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Mikey_G

2006 Nissan Pathfinder R51 EGR fault (2.5 Diesel)

Postby Mikey_G » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 am

Hi,

I am new to the forum but was hoping for some help. My Pathfinder is coming up with an EGR fault. I have taken it apart and cleaned it up. The valve seems to move freely and fully, and when reassembled it worked for a (10ish starts) then the fault has come back. Any thoughts on what to try next (a new one is £600-£800 depending where from - only through a dealer here).

Secondly, if I do need to replace it - does anyone know where I can get the parts cheaper?

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Lord Farquaad

Postby Lord Farquaad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:53 pm

It is a common modification here by us to blank off the EGR. TAs we don't have strict emission policing here, it is not a problem really. Not sure if you will get into trouble over there if you do it. You guys have yearly MOTs that include an emission test, don't you? The function of the EGR is to recirculate a certain amount of exhaust gas back into the engine to improve emissions as far as I know.

The procedure is to make up a blanking plate and then install it between the EGR and manifold. Be sure to seal it properly, otherwise you will get exhaust gas into the cabin. The blanking off is usually done because the EGR fouls up, not because of an error. I guess you can clean it and then blank it off. This should clear the fault. I know this is not quite the answer you were looking for, but it is a workaround if you are cash strapped.

Mikey_G

Postby Mikey_G » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks - I have heard about blanking off the EGR (since doing research about the fault) and think I ma do it (I can always take it off for MOT each year). Sadly though I still need to fix it so it will get through the next one. I used to do similar on my old Lotus Elise where I removed the Catalytic converter.

I think I am becoming resigned to the fact that I am going to have to buy a new one.

Cheers for the help.

Mike

nzmikec

Re: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder R51 EGR fault (2.5 Diesel)

Postby nzmikec » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 am

Hi All,
Regarding the EGR block off mod, will the vehicle fault if the EGR valve is completely removed from the vehicle and not plugged into the loom? Any fix for this? Im looking at making block off plates for the intake and exhaust sides and bypassing the coolant so I can completely remove both the valve and the watercooled pipe.

Cheers, Mike.

TooMuchControl

Re: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder R51 EGR fault (2.5 Diesel)

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Any fault is relying on a feedback signal.
I would think unplugging it, or removing it from the loom would cause an open circuit, monitored by the computer.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”