squeek on acceleration

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

00pathySE

squeek on acceleration

Postby 00pathySE » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 pm

I have a light intermittent squeeking sound on acceleration from a stop that goes away completely after about 10mph. I only get this squeek sound when I am in auto mode, not in 2wd. Anyone have any idea what I should look into? Thanks for any suggestions.

silverarrow27

Re: squeek on acceleration

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:55 am

Sounds like it might be coming from the drivetrain. Perhaps front axles? Maybe something with your transfer case? Or it could just be a loose belt.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Found bad u joint front shaft at transfer case. The one at the front axle seems good. Thinking of replacing just the bad one for now. Anyone know if ots possible to replace the one at the transfer case without removing the whole shaft? There is a pretty fat crossmember there, I wonder if it would be too in the way?

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:58 am

the shaft can be removed without removing that member. I've done it.
Need a slim wrench that gets in there, on the front. Watch the knuckles!

Come to think of the front shaft does have a little piston in it, that allows a small contraction. But how to remove the joint with the shaft attached at the other end is a head scratcher. Also have to be careful not to scratch or dent the shaft while doing this.

Once you have it removed, just take care of both? Would be a pain that the front one goes in 5 months time. They cost like ~20 buckaroos.

FYI - Stanley makes a set of slim (thin) black wrenches. There are probably others, and if you can get a long reach one, then even better.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Replaced front u joint closest to transfer case. Jack up front wheels. With ball joint press - remove u joint caps on the transfer case side first. . This lets the shaft move side to side. Spin front tire by hand to get desired ujoint position. Then remove two caps on the shaft side. Seperate and install new u joint starting with the shaft side first. It was a little cramped and tedious but got it done. Used dana 5153x geeasable joints. Cheers.

Return to “R51 General Chat”