Heated Seat Repair - R51

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Goomba

Heated Seat Repair - R51

Postby Goomba » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:04 pm

The bottom cushion of my driver side heated seats have stopped working on my 2010 LE. The rear back portion still heats up. I would think the heating element needs to be replaced.

I have tried searching the forum and repair manual but unable to find direction on what the heated seats wire harness may look like. I would like to test the circuit for resistance before attempting disassemble and repair the heating pad ($135 CDN). I’m also concerning the seat bolts may be rusted on as I’ve read previous people having issues with this.

Has anyone attempted this repair? Any pictures or tips or troubleshooting pointers? Can it be repaired without removing the seat?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:26 pm

I've replaced my seat cushion and I think this would be a PITA to do in the truck. Maybe you could get one side up and check it but I'm not sure, or that it would be worth doing that way.

Don't be scared of removing the seat; the four foundation bolts aren't that bad. I have a fair amount of east coast winter rust under my truck and not a single bolt in any seat (I've removed them all) was bad.

I would also suspect a broken heating element. The way everything goes together, would be really easy to replace it.

On a separate note I suspect my seat back heating element doesn't work, and I'd like to replace its cushion. But it looks like a whole different level of difficult to get that cover off.

Goomba

Postby Goomba » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks for the reply ShipFixer. Did you have any issues with your air bag with seat removal?

I think I'll try and take a closer look this weekend. My pampered arse can't take these cold western Canadian winters anymore.
ShipFixer wrote:I've replaced my seat cushion and I think this would be a PITA to do in the truck. Maybe you could get one side up and check it but I'm not sure, or that it would be worth doing that way.

Don't be scared of removing the seat; the four foundation bolts aren't that bad. I have a fair amount of east coast winter rust under my truck and not a single bolt in any seat (I've removed them all) was bad.

I would also suspect a broken heating element. The way everything goes together, would be really easy to replace it.

On a separate note I suspect my seat back heating element doesn't work, and I'd like to replace its cushion. But it looks like a whole different level of difficult to get that cover off.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Sorry for the late response. I don’t have the seats with airbags (2005 SE), so wasn’t a factor. But I wouldn’t be scared of it if I did. Step one is disconnect all of the electrical cables, step two is unbolt and remove the chair. Once it’s out and away from 12V power supplies should be safe!

For what it’s worth I did this in my living room in front of the television. Took three hours, slow going with the hog rings and whatnot. All of the write-ups with pictures on cushion replacement will show you what you need to know. The heater element sits between the cushion and cover, easy once yo get the cover off.

brickbox

Re: Heated Seat Repair - R51

Postby brickbox » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 am

Reviving an old thread - my seat bottom heater stopped working on the driver’s seat (2011 Silver Edition)
Any ideas on how to find replacement heated pads? Do the folks here have any suggestions for ones that would be plug and play?
Are there “gotchas” with the airbag connectors? The ones on my Toyota were super easy but the connectors on my Subaru were a nightmare.

I’m fairly familiar with removing the seats and taking out the upholstery and all.

Thanks all!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”