Engine cooling fan clutch & overheating

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

lebowski

Engine cooling fan clutch & overheating

Postby lebowski » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 am

Hi,

Last summer it happened to me twice that the engine temperature crawled up. No overheating or losing water, just the needle moved up from it's normal stable position. Both times towing a really small trailer with a motor cycle (together not more then 200kg). Once on uphill on a high way doing 90km/h the second time crawling up a steep mountain road at low speed (1st gear, high gearing). The second time I parked the car and revved the engine to 3000rpm and the temperature dropped immediately back to normal, the fan clutch was definitely engaged.

Two questions:
1) I replaced last year the cooling fan clutch with a new one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/402825881562). Everytime I start the cold engine the clutch is engaged and it sounds like a hovercraft. After 30 seconds or so the clutch disengages and the sound disappears. My mechanic tells me that other car brands with viscous clutches don't make this sound. Do all pathfinders make this hovercraft sound when starting?
2) Surely this car should be able to tow 200kg without issues? it is rated to 3000kg. Yes it was like 30 degrees C but they they sold this car in the middle-east where temperatures are much higher. In both cases the engine was doing like 1500 rpm, so maybe the fan didn't spin enough? Or do I have the wrong clutch?

wbruner

Re: Engine cooling fan clutch & overheating

Postby wbruner » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:10 am

Last summer my thermostat went out and I had to replace it. Since then my temperature gauge will fluctuate just a little. I thought it was weird because the only time I have ever seen one move is when a vehicle overheats. However, I have not had any issues with over heating since replacing the thermostat just gauge movement (slightly).

My fan clutch was also stuck and it sounded like a hovercraft until I replaced it. Now it only sounds like that when the fan is engaged.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Never heard any engine whether it's the Vq40 or the VK56 sound like a hovercraft. Maybe try a oem clutch if sold separately?

As for your temps slightly going up...when was the last time you changed out your water pump or try to rebleed your cooling system. It could be you have a very minor leak in your cooling system also that it's not yet enough to drip to the ground.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 am

For what it's worth, no one really reports consistent results with aftermarket fan clutches. The Nissan one will make the hovercraft noise go away. You should "hear the fan" but if its too loud, then the clutch is too engaged when the engine is cold.

There's another Pathfinder in my neighborhood that I can hear coming from around the corner. Its motor driven fan is crazy loud...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”