Leaving my vehicle parked for 3+ weeks, this is how I prepared

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Leaving my vehicle parked for 3+ weeks, this is how I prepared

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Leaving my vehicle (2008 Pathfinder with the V8) parked for 3+ weeks, this is how I prepared:

- It was due for an oil change anyway, so it got an oil change as I hate the idea of dirty oil sitting still in the oil passaged for weeks at a time
- I put one of the anti UV/heat shields into the windshield
- Put a can of Seafoam into the fuel tank as a mild stabilizer
- Topped the car off with 93 Octane Non Ethanol fuel
- Then drove home in a roundabout way to make sure this fuel and the Seafoam wasnt just sitting in the tank but got into the fuel lines as well.

One thing I did not do was disconnect the battery.

Why? I think of it as a test of both vehicle and battery, if it does not start I know I need to replace battery and/or I likely have a draw somewhere.

I am willing to take that chance as my other vehicle (a 2011 Xterra) has the same size battery (24F) but its oversized for that application (calls for 35) and its an AGM cell to boot.
So I am confident the XTerra will start and I have jumper cables to start the Pthy if need be.
So far it has never given me any indication about being a weak starter so I expect it will start, but I do want to test it.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Leaving my vehicle parked for 3+ weeks, this is how I prepared

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Just got home.
Both vehicles started no issue at all.
Hooray for good maintenance
and Nissan goodness! :D

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:49 am

Welcome home and glad your cars started up fine. Always a bummer when you come back to vehicle issues from a trip.

eruby

Postby eruby » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 am

I'm not knocking what you did but 3 weeks is not really that long. I have a spare vehicle that I try to run once a week but depending on schedule and weather, it can go 3 or more weeks without being started. My boat with an inboard Ford 2.3L motor also goes 3 or more weeks between running. I do use regular E-0 gas in both and disconnect the battery in the boat over the winter but otherwise nothing more. BTW, the boat is a 1988 that I bought new and the other vehicle is a 1987 I bought in 1998 so both have been with me a long time.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:42 pm

eruby wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 am
I'm not knocking what you did but 3 weeks is not really that long. I have a spare vehicle that I try to run once a week but depending on schedule and weather, it can go 3 or more weeks without being started. My boat with an inboard Ford 2.3L motor also goes 3 or more weeks between running. I do use regular E-0 gas in both and disconnect the battery in the boat over the winter but otherwise nothing more. BTW, the boat is a 1988 that I bought new and the other vehicle is a 1987 I bought in 1998 so both have been with me a long time.
For some brands its a long time to be able t start after 3 weeks.
Not for this one though it looks like :D

Return to “General Automotive”