Question about new fan clutch

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

boontis

Question about new fan clutch

Postby boontis » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:44 am

I just replaced my fan clutch with a mid priced one from Rock Auto (not oem) and it seems to roar even more than the old one that I thought was toast!

Three questions:

1 - How long is normal for the roar to last on startup? The old one was 5 seconds max - this one is over 2 minutes.

2 - How often do most people have the fan kick back in after warm up? (I'm noticing it is on more often now than the old one. I know it comes in when the vehicle needs it - but for years I never noticed the fan coming on and then just over the last year it started coming on while at lights, which I thought meant it was toast. )

3 - Could there be something that is causing the engine to overheat slightly? My temp gauge is below the midway point so it would surprise me if this was the case - but I can't think of any other reason for both of these fan clutches to start locking on/turning on more often than the last 6 years I've had the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

grm3

Re: Question about new fan clutch

Postby grm3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:23 am

Aftermarket fan clutches don't seem to work well in the Pathfinder. Best to go with genuine Nissan part for replacement.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:33 pm

GRM makes a good point. :!:

There are some parts on these cars (or any Nissan really) where it appears going OEM is best

A partial list is:

- sparkplugs
- thermostats
- fan clutches
- MAF

( I may think of more later if SMJ doesn't chime in)

Based on my personal experience and mostly following our resident expert recommendations I can say that Parts where aftermarket is fine:

- Anything suspension
- brakes
- radiator

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:29 pm

Add to the list: fuel pumps, sensors and ignition related components.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”