What are some of the better airfilters?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

What are some of the better airfilters?

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:16 pm

There is a lot of construction near where i live in my way to work and back.
It kicks up a lot of dust.

Does anyone have recommendations for airfilters?
I usually just buy any name brand but if someone has a favorite and can articulate why I am all ears :)

VStar650CL

Re: What are some of the better airfilters?

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:24 am

Best engine protection is Delco, hands down. There are a number of tests and studies showing it. Of course, it follows that it's also the most restrictive. Wix, Fram and Puro are all good compromises between protection and performance.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks!!! :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 am

Personally, I think the genuine Nissan filters are the best; they also have their Nissan Value Advantage filters that cut the cost a couple of bucks. That said, I usually use Denso, Mahle (which I wouldn't be surprised if they made some of the OE Nissan filters), Purolator One or AC Delco, which is very good. Wix is another good choice. I lot of the "lower tier" brands like Pronto or Champ often are just re-boxed Purolators, which are decent. It's probably a decision that doesn't need to be overthought, but, unfortunately, I have seen some aftermarket air filters not fit properly and allow dirt to pass around it. Of course, on my 2006, I replaced the factory intake system with the aFe Momentum GT CAI system with a dry filter; I'll probably be swapping that over to my new Xterra.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:13 pm

smj999smj wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 am
Personally, I think the genuine Nissan filters are the best; they also have their Nissan Value Advantage filters that cut the cost a couple of bucks. That said, I usually use Denso, Mahle (which I wouldn't be surprised if they made some of the OE Nissan filters), Purolator One or AC Delco, which is very good. Wix is another good choice. I lot of the "lower tier" brands like Pronto or Champ often are just re-boxed Purolators, which are decent. It's probably a decision that doesn't need to be overthought, but, unfortunately, I have seen some aftermarket air filters not fit properly and allow dirt to pass around it. Of course, on my 2006, I replaced the factory intake system with the aFe Momentum GT CAI system with a dry filter; I'll probably be swapping that over to my new Xterra.
I went with Wix in the end.
One for the Xterra and one for the Pathfinder, was the same part number too. :D

lesrola

Postby lesrola » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Delco has the best engine protection hands down. There are a lot of tests and research demonstrating itretro bowl It seems to reason that it is also the most restricted. The term "electronic commerce" refers to the sale of electronic goods.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:17 pm

lesrola wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:26 pm
Delco has the best engine protection hands down. There are a lot of tests and research demonstrating itretro bowl It seems to reason that it is also the most restricted. The term "electronic commerce" refers to the sale of electronic goods.
Uh-oh, Botty wants a cracker. :P

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Can't say I know any specific brand, didn't pay enough attention. But I have definitely seen ones with far fewer and far more pleats. To me, the more pleats the better.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Not sure why this showed up on my youtube (big brother is watching). but this is an interesting test on air filters. More of a type comparison though.

https://youtu.be/YypvDEQyNBY

Return to “General Automotive”