Driving fast is now a joy!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Driving fast is now a joy!

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:20 pm

Now that my tires finally seem to be balanced properly on the rims I took the Pathfinder out on a Florida interstate that sees little enforcement.
Its hilly which makes it more fun.
Speed Limit is 70 mph, but flow of traffic well above this, even in the right lane and in the left lane, lookout!

So I put the hammer down today for the first time in months (maybe ever n this SUV)
What a joy! :D

This V8 engine just pulls so hard basically catapulting me up these hills!
So much fun.
Even passed a Nissan Titan with the DI version of the VK56.

I went for one exit East from my town and then back.
but these exits were far from each other approx 35 miles so we are looking at 70 mile round trip.
Did not take as long as one might think :wink:

Makes me wish I had put some techron or the like in the tank firstn to take full advantage of "blowing it out" a bit.

silverarrow27

Re: Driving fast is now a joy!

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 am

Glad you're finally getting to enjoy it. Love it, just don't love paying gas for it LOL

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 am

silverarrow27 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 am
Glad you're finally getting to enjoy it. Love it, just don't love paying gas for it LOL
If you think about how much money we are saving versus a equivalent 4runner or Lexus GX while getting more capability, the price of fuel is trivial IMHO. :D

Sometimes I even debate of selling my immaculate Xterra PRO4X so I can buy another V8 R51 :D

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:43 am

The 8s are rare birds around my neck of the woods.
Nothing like a V8.
In fact, there is not one V8 R51 available for sale in Canada.

I've seen a couple advertised over the past two years, here, but they were so badly beaten up by the weather and owners, you could literally buy a V8 for less than $5k. There was a pristine one, a couple of years ago, but it had leather - I'm partial to cloth seats, so I had to pass.

I dropped into a greasy spoon this Summer, and the owner had bought a used Armada (2015) with 55k on it. He said he had an R51 but needed more space, so he went this route.

I did think about it.....

He mentioned that the gas difference wasn't much.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:18 am

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:40 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:18 am
Dang hot-rodders. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12C6xuMwmE
I hear that Armada Patrol had a GTR engine in it.
but the stock VK series is internally very strong and just begging for forced induction.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:43 am
The 8s are rare birds around my neck of the woods.
Nothing like a V8.
In fact, there is not one V8 R51 available for sale in Canada.

I've seen a couple advertised over the past two years, here, but they were so badly beaten up by the weather and owners, you could literally buy a V8 for less than $5k. There was a pristine one, a couple of years ago, but it had leather - I'm partial to cloth seats, so I had to pass.

I dropped into a greasy spoon this Summer, and the owner had bought a used Armada (2015) with 55k on it. He said he had an R51 but needed more space, so he went this route.

I did think about it.....

He mentioned that the gas difference wasn't much.
Those Armadas are tempting.
Same engine as us.
Look real nice inside and outside, even have a transmission tempt gauge in the dash.
But they are bigger and weigh approx 700 lbs more than our steeds and I always felt the r51 was "right sized" for me.
Not a small vehicle but still small and nimble enough for downtown.
I would enjoy the larger fuel tank of an Armada though. 28 gallons vs our 21..

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:33 pm

PS: Just got back from another "romp" .
This time an exit west and then return.
what little enforcement there is around here is not working Sunday morning.
and the way the hills and guard rails are on that route there are not many good places for enforcement to sit.
So I had a chance to really "blow out" the motor.
These engines want to run.
I added large bottle of Chevron techron to a 3 quarter tank of gas before I went on this drive.
Will not top off until I am down to a quarter, to keep the concentration of cleaner up.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:18 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 am
silverarrow27 wrote:
If you think about how much money we are saving versus a equivalent 4runner or Lexus GX while getting more capability, the price of fuel is trivial IMHO. :D

Sometimes I even debate of selling my immaculate Xterra PRO4X so I can buy another V8 R51 :D
I wheel with Toyota guys, unfortunately the independent suspension on the R51 is less capable. And you forget I live in CA, the land of over $5 /gallon.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:18 pm
palmerwmd wrote:
silverarrow27 wrote:

I wheel with Toyota guys, unfortunately the independent suspension on the R51 is less capable. And you forget I live in CA, the land of over $5 /gallon.
Thats only relevant in significant off road driving though. :D
I consider that such a niche activity. :wink:

Independent suspension is all around a better suspension technology.
This is one of the reasons why my r51 feels to much more stable at speed than my Xterra.
So are you saying the 4 runner is not Indendendt?
yet another knock on them, in my book.

My offroad capability is primarily for emergency purposes, like crossing a muddy interstate median during a big traffic jam, or to avoid a blocked hiway by driving on the rutted/muddy/off angle shoulder, giant snow catastrophes, etc etc.

And sometimes I use it on the local 100 acre gun range when the rains have made the access roads to the various firing points so muddy a regular sedan could not make it.

Also keep in mind how much more agile a R51 is even in the V6 version over the equivalent toyota products.
never mind the V8.
Just today I blew the doors off a late model 4 runner on the interstate whie running up a hill.
I could sense his surprise by how I was still accelerating with authority even tough we were already fast and going a steep uphill. :lol:

No toyota anywhere close to this price point can match this capability.
(A 2008 V8 4Runner performs similar to the 2008 V6 Pathfinder and the V8 Pathy leaves the V84runner in the dust)
I doubt even the 2021 Sequoia (which is worth about 4-6 times what my vehicle is) could keep up.
A MB G500 from those years is less agile than the r51 even though it also body-frame- as is the MB.
from 2008 to match us you need a 2008 AMG G-wagon, which its huge yearly maintenance and break downs. Probably pay the purchase price of our cars every 1-2 years just to keep a older AMG V8 Gwagon running.

Maybe the new Sequoia with the twin turbo V6 but have you priced those lately?
I have, they sell for 5-10k over their $56,000 MSRP.
So in this price range there is nothing that can touch a V8 R51 in form and function.

My credit is the best its ever been and I also have good savings so I price late model used and new Lexus GX460 all the time.
but I just cant get myself to pay so much money for a car thats functionally no better than my 13 year old Nissan.
It may be better looking, and being a new lexus more reliable but functionally?
No difference, with my all mode AWD/4WD, Sunroof, Bose stereo, heated leather seats in a same size but more agile platform.

I do hear you on the fuel.
And I am sure it will get more expensive yet..
But IMHO mpgs are often a false economy.

My advice is don't look at your total fuel bill and go "sigh this is so much". :P
Calculate the difference to a more economical SUV per fillup
And you will notice the difference is actually not all that much, especially when you start comparing it to that $900/ month payment for a new vehicle that might save 60 bucks a month in fuel, while barely matching the abilities of your current steed.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:46 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:40 am
I hear that Armada Patrol had a GTR engine in it.
but the stock VK series is internally very strong and just begging for forced induction.
Yah, that one was a GTR, but there are tons of guys in the Far and Middle East turning 1000+ HP out of VK's too.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm
silverarrow27 wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:

This is one of the reasons why my r51 feels to much more stable at speed than my Xterra.

My offroad capability is primarily for emergency purposes, like crossing a muddy interstate median during a big traffic jam, or to avoid a blocked hiway by driving on the rutted/muddy/off angle shoulder, giant snow catastrophes, etc etc.

And sometimes I use it on the local 100 acre gun range when the rains have made the access roads to the various firing points so muddy a regular sedan could not make it.

Also keep in mind how much more agile a R51 is even in the V6 version over the equivalent toyota products.
never mind the V8.
Just today I blew the doors off a late model 4 runner on the interstate whie running up a hill.
I could sense his surprise by how I was still accelerating with authority even tough we were already fast and going a steep uphill. :lol:

(A 2008 4Runner performs similar to the 2008 V6 Pathfinder and the V8 Pathy leaves the V84runner in the dust)
I doubt even the 2021 Sequoia (which is worth about 4-6 times what my vehicle is) could keep up.
A MB G500 from those years is less agile than the r51 even though it also body-frame- as is the MB.
from 2008 to match us you need a 2008 AMG, which us huge yearly maintenance and break downs. Probably pay the purchase price of our cars every 1-2 years just to keep a older AMG V8 Gwagon running.

So in this price range there is nothing that can touch a V8 R51 in form and function.

My credit is the best its ever been and I also have good savings so I price late model used and new Lexus GX460 all the time.
but I just cant get myself to pay so much money for a car thats functionally no better than my 13 year old Nissan.
No difference, with my all mode AWD/4WD, Sunroof, Bose stereo, heated leather seats in a same size but more agile platform.

My advice is don't look at your total fuel bill and go "sigh this is so much". :P
And you will notice the difference is actually not all that much, especially when you start comparing it to that $900/ month payment for a new vehicle that might save 60 bucks a month in fuel, while barely matching the abilities of your current steed.
I see where the misunderstanding is when we're talking about "capability". I bought mine to wheel while you bought yours to daily drive. Totally agreed with you on your analysis and findings though. Happy driving!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:51 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 am
palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm
silverarrow27 wrote:

never mind the V8.

(A 2008 4Runner performs similar to the 2008 V6 Pathfinder and the V8 Pathy leaves the V84runner in the dust)
from 2008 to match us you need a 2008 AMG, which us huge yearly maintenance and break downs. Probably pay the purchase price of our cars every 1-2 years just to keep a older AMG V8 Gwagon running.

I see where the misunderstanding is when we're talking about "capability". I bought mine to wheel while you bought yours to daily drive. Totally agreed with you on your analysis and findings though. Happy driving!
I seen your wheeling setup pics. your truck rocks! ! :D

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”