2WD vs AUTO problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

P2004LE

2WD vs AUTO problem

Postby P2004LE » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Hello all, new guy here. I’ve been lurking for 20 months while I enjoy my new to me Pathfinder. For the most part it has been a great experience. But I need some help/advice on the following. If I use the 2WD function there is no problems. But, if I run in AUTO and then stop, put the car in Park, and turn off the ignition there is a Clunk - more felt than heard - and the car moves just a little. It’s like there is pressure in the drive train that gets relieved when the ignition is switched off. It is only while the selector is in AUTO mode. Otherwise there is no other sound or vibration while using AUTO.
Any idea what might be happening?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

car_006

Re: 2WD vs AUTO problem

Postby car_006 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:09 pm

Hey, I am fairly new to the pathy too. But I think what you may be feeling is the transfer case disengaging from the front end. This could be because the pressure keeping it there is being released when the ignition is turned off. The transfer case is then sliding back into just the rear, making the clunk. Just a theory, so I may not be right.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”