08 Exhaust removal

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HazmatikNC

08 Exhaust removal

Postby HazmatikNC » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:57 am

I'm replacing the exhaust from the headers back with the Walker cats and muffler since I had a cat fail and I'm currently struggling to remove the old muffler and tailpipe. The joint and clamp where they meet is rusted together so I am attempting to remove them together since my cutting wheel barely made a dent in the midpipe/muffler joint before burning up its motor and I can't fit my reciprocating saw in there. Is there a trick to getting them off the hangers? I pulled it as far as I could towards the front of the vehicle but the hangers are still holding by about a half inch. Am I better off ordering new hangers and just unbolting the hangers? The bolts are rusty too but I have an impact wrench that makes quick work of stuck bolts.

TooMuchControl

Re: 08 Exhaust removal

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:53 pm

It's a trick.
I did this myself a couple of years back.

The way it moves, you have to separate the tail. The way to get the angle, is to remove the rear tire, and may wiggle around and out. This is why it is an advantage on a lift, rather than on the ground. You may have to lift

I wound up just removing the hangers bolts. Don't snap them off! Be gentle baby and use some penetrant.
You'll see this when trying to get the new rear pipe onto the muffler. I did the same Walker thing.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”