Custom Projector Headlights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Code Pathfinder

Custom Projector Headlights

Postby Code Pathfinder » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:54 pm

I have a lot of catching up to do for the group but I would like to start with the custom headlights that I installed.

The headlights are from DT moto on eBay and the Led projector kit is from HIDProjectors.com (Thank you Tom for this kit!)

Here are some photos of them.

I ended up using the monster shroud kit that Tom sells on his website. The shrouds were a tad too big so I had to get creative and Dremel them to size.

I added 100mm and 80mm Halo RGB lights. Tom can put together a DIY kit for you if you are interested in doing this yourself.

It's not a hard job but I do recommend watching some retrofit tutorials on Youtube so you know what might be in store for when you do yours.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Custom Projector Headlights

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:30 pm

Looks great!
I also just put in a DTmoto headlight but I left halogens in it (albeit the phillips Xtermevisions)

Would like more light and currently looking at some of the LEDS bulbs other have posted here.
That thread is here:
topic21201.html

donaldpath

Postby donaldpath » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Those look really great!
How is the angle of visibility? With halogen/LEDs, the light beam seems to be only about 30'deg each lamp or something (ie. very narrow).

The website says the customer should ceramic-coat the lenses to prevent damage. Did you end up doing that? I wonder if just a lens film would do the trick, so that you don't have to re-apply the ceramic coating every so often.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:01 pm

donaldpath wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:44 pm
How is the angle of visibility? With halogen/LEDs, the light beam seems to be only about 30'deg each lamp or something (ie. very narrow).
That's a very typical beam pattern for projector headlights. They all use a horizontal "mask" inside the lamp and reflectors that are biased horizontally so that very little light reaches the top or bottom of the focuser lens. This gives a narrow pattern vertically but wide and bright horizontally. They generally light up a wider swath of road than a reflector, but it's also way more important to have them aimed correctly vertically than with reflector lamps. High aim will get you flashed by vehicles a mile away but make the road in front of you disappear.

Return to “R51 Electrical”