VVT Cover - anyone know the correct seals for it

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ivanhnchelsea

VVT Cover - anyone know the correct seals for it

Postby ivanhnchelsea » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:03 am

On a 2007 Pathfinder VQ40DE engine - Does anyone know the correct seals that go on the variable valve timing cover that bolts onto the front timing cover? I'm talking about the left and right covers for the camshafts that bolt onto the front timing cover. I know the smaller neoprene seals at the end, but there is some confusion with the parts guy for the o-ring that fits over the part that slides into the vvt cam. There is a groove where an o-ring sits. I have a feeling I installed the incorrect o-ring that came with an aftermarket timing chain kit. The parts guy says he can't see any o-ring on the parts microfiche. But there is clearly a groove where an o-ring would sit. I'm trying to fix an intermittent p00011 code that occasionally pops up. It's definitely not an electrical or sensor issue since they're all new, and the wiring has continuity -- so I suspect an oil pressure or oil draining problem from the vvt cam itself. Anyone run into this?

VStar650CL

Re: VVT Cover - anyone know the correct seals for it

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:45 am

If you mean these rings that go between the outer covers and the phasers, the p/n is 15066-5E510.

07 Pathy O-rings.png

ivanhnchelsea

Postby ivanhnchelsea » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:03 pm

Thanks! That's them. I don't know what the deal was with the parts guy. He kept telling me there were none. Will install and see if this clears the p00011 issue and update here. Thanks again.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:32 pm

You're most welcome. Let us know how it goes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:40 am

You should test the oil pressure at idle with the engine warmed up. The oil gallery cover, which is located on the front of the rear timing cover, has a gasket that can blow out and bleed off oil pressure, causing P0011 and/or P0021 codes. You can get kits know that have an updated gasket and new cover bolts. A bad or gummed up VVT actuator on that bank can also trigger that code.
As far as the seals you are asking about, I believe there are "lathe cut" seals on the "snout" that slides into the gear, itself. You usually don't have to replace them. At least that's how I remember it being, but I'm old and my memory isn't always 100%. Maybe Vstar knows what I'm talking about?

ivanhnchelsea

Postby ivanhnchelsea » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:37 pm

I have checked the oil pressure at idle and warmed up -- it's 16 psi, which is within spec. Timing is also in spec .5 both banks with no voltage to vat solenoid at idle. You mention that seal is lathe cut, where I remember the seal I installed was rounded, which makes it even more suspect to me. Some months ago I did the secondary timing chain tensioners and a new timing chain. Everything ran fine with no errors for a couple thousand miles until I rebuilt the rear suspension and installed new Moog springs. This lifted the rear end slightly and tilted the car forward slightly. It's after this I started getting this error. I've already installed new Hitachi crank and cam sensors so those can be ruled out. Will try the OEM seal and see if this corrects it and update here. Thanks for the help

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Ivan,

I know you will get things sorted.
You have the best experts on Pathfinders, on the entire internet, helping you right here. :)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:21 am

ivanhnchelsea wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:37 pm
I have checked the oil pressure at idle and warmed up -- it's 16 psi, which is within spec. Timing is also in spec .5 both banks with no voltage to vat solenoid at idle. You mention that seal is lathe cut, where I remember the seal I installed was rounded, which makes it even more suspect to me. Some months ago I did the secondary timing chain tensioners and a new timing chain. Everything ran fine with no errors for a couple thousand miles until I rebuilt the rear suspension and installed new Moog springs. This lifted the rear end slightly and tilted the car forward slightly. It's after this I started getting this error. I've already installed new Hitachi crank and cam sensors so those can be ruled out. Will try the OEM seal and see if this corrects it and update here. Thanks for the help
I had this P0011 problem a couple years ago, and mine was for the problem you are looking at. It was right after a Nissan dealership did my cam chains and tensioners. The seal was not put in properly and it was blocking VVT on one camshaft. What helps diagnose it is an app some Australians made called NissanDataScan II that can read the proprietary Nissan codes over OBD II. Requires either the PC version and a USB dongle, or an Android phone (not Apple) and an ELM bluetooth dongle. Here's what I saw when the cam was not operating:

Before I took it back to them I tested both solenoids out of the truck just to make sure it wasn't the solenoid. After that, not much else it could be. Once fixed, both cams advance when voltage is applied and you see it in real time in NDS II.

Some fun facts, looks like the PC version of NDS II has added some modules since I last looked. TCM, ABS, and some others are now readable. Android is still only ECM.

https://www.nisscan.com/NDSII/index.php

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:15 am

smj999smj wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:40 am
As far as the seals you are asking about, I believe there are "lathe cut" seals on the "snout" that slides into the gear, itself. You usually don't have to replace them. At least that's how I remember it being, but I'm old and my memory isn't always 100%. Maybe Vstar knows what I'm talking about?
Yep, that's correct. They're not usually leak sources.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:21 am

ShipFixer wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:21 am
What helps diagnose it is an app some Australians made called NissanDataScan II that can read the proprietary Nissan codes over OBD II. Requires either the PC version and a USB dongle, or an Android phone (not Apple) and an ELM bluetooth dongle.
That's fabulous, several people have asked me about an app that can read cam angles and avoid a pricey shop scanner or dealer visit. Haven't found one till now and didn't know that one existed. Much thanks!

beegeezy

Postby beegeezy » Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 pm

ShipFixer wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:21 am
ivanhnchelsea wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:37 pm
I had this P0011 problem a couple years ago, and mine was for the problem you are looking at. It was right after a Nissan dealership did my cam chains and tensioners. The seal was not put in properly and it was blocking VVT on one camshaft. What helps diagnose it is an app some Australians made called NissanDataScan II that can read the proprietary Nissan codes over OBD II. Requires either the PC version and a USB dongle, or an Android phone (not Apple) and an ELM bluetooth dongle. Here's what I saw when the cam was not operating:

Before I took it back to them I tested both solenoids out of the truck just to make sure it wasn't the solenoid. After that, not much else it could be. Once fixed, both cams advance when voltage is applied and you see it in real time in NDS II.

Some fun facts, looks like the PC version of NDS II has added some modules since I last looked. TCM, ABS, and some others are now readable. Android is still only ECM.

This is cool...but their website says the NDS II is not compatible with the R51 Pathfinder. What gives?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 pm

beegeezy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 pm
This is cool...but their website says the NDS II is not compatible with the R51 Pathfinder. What gives?
There's a new version I'm using, NDS-III. I haven't found much it won't work with. I haven't used it on an R51 Pathy but the site says it's been tested on a US 4.0L Xterra, so I expect it will work fine with a 4.0L R51. Dunno about a V8. It connected ECM-only with an older Titan I tried it on, but I didn't look exhaustively at whether all the functions worked. On many models it will only read the ECM.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”