Stmble on a slight hill

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

VStar650CL

Re: Stmble on a slight hill

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:16 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 pm
This tells us what the markups are at the dealer, since Hitachi is the OEM part and Rock auto also has them marked up a bit.
Dealer overhead is what it is. You don't want to know how much money is tied up just in the "required hand tools" in our toolroom. The Parts Department has similar bucks tied up in "required inventory", some of which will always end up going fallow on the shelf. For the most part folks don't understand that (sometimes even the management at the front of the store). Not that I'm in favor of the "list-plus" crap some Parts Departments engage in, but the amount that's profit is a lot smaller than you might think. The same goes for the labor charges in the Service Department.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:42 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:16 am
palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 pm
This tells us what the markups are at the dealer, since Hitachi is the OEM part and Rock auto also has them marked up a bit.
Dealer overhead is what it is. You don't want to know how much money is tied up just in the "required hand tools" in our toolroom. The Parts Department has similar bucks tied up in "required inventory", some of which will always end up going fallow on the shelf. For the most part folks don't understand that (sometimes even the management at the front of the store). Not that I'm in favor of the "list-plus" crap some Parts Departments engage in, but the amount that's profit is a lot smaller than you might think. The same goes for the labor charges in the Service Department.
No complaints here : )
There is no Nissan dealer near me ( closest is 50 min drive away one way) so I am using an independent.
I'd be happy to use the dealer if he was local to me.
:)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 am

You may find that the OE sensor is Hanshin, who also makes a lot of OE Nissan sensors and coil packs. In my experience, Hanshin brand parts seem to be more failure-prone than Hitachi and Denso. You may find that the cam sensor you remove is the later, metal type sensor that Nissan currently uses, whereas your part from Rockauto is the older, plastic-type sensor. I've seen original, metal-type sensor fails, as well, and my two Pathfinders have their original, plastic-type sensors with well over 200K miles on them, with the exception of the 2008's left bank cam sensor, which was replaced. I would go with the Hitachi's from Rockauto, as well, or NTK, but I've also had good luck with SMP-Intermotor sensors that were made in Japan.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 pm

It was a hitachi,
but I let the shop order it.
I did not want to wait for it on my own separate order.

Got installed today.
So far looks ok.
Will take it on testdrive now. :)

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri May 20, 2022 4:10 am

Update:

After the one side the right side was replaced, same thing happened on the left side.
Just had that replaced too.

:)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 20, 2022 10:47 am

Yes, but isn't this everywhere? Let's take eyeglasses, for example. I purchased a set of reading glasses from Walgreen's last week. It seems well constructed, looks good and consists of a frame and lens for around $10. Meanwhile, if I were to get a set of just basic glasses from my Optometrist, I'd be looking at probably over $200 which might drop to $125-150 with insurance.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”