R200 Rear Locker

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Thupertrooper

Re: R200 Rear Locker

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:48 am

Thanks for the information. Since I been out of the Nissan loop for a couple years It seems to have settled that Nissan will keep using the Armada/Patrol/Qs chassis and drivetrain. Which is a win for us Pathfinders since everything will directly bolt up. The price of the locker is cheaper then I expected, really has me intrigued.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Exact reason why I bit the bullet. Bought it now because if the TRE brand starts getting North American recognition...prices may shoot up as well as I think they're also based out of Australia and supposedly they're a well known brand there.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm

My front Lokka locker also came from Australia and has held up 35s for a couple years now the CVs not so much lol

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:35 pm

I was gonna ask you about your CVs :lol:

I haven't seen many R51 off roaders talk about broken CVs at all, but I knew failures were out there.

Sounds like my goal of the RCV axles will happen eventually then.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:04 am

The most affordable is to just carry spares since it's not as often I break axles now days but my setup requires rebuilding CVs on the spot lol. RCV made my custom axle shafts, 4130 chromolly but the outsides are still OEM stock. Most OEM length complete axles from them go for $3k but my quote would of been more in the $4-5k so I just invested $800 on just axle shafts.

With a R180 you kinda want the weakest link to be outside the Differential. The Lokka front locker replaced my spider gears making it little stronger than stock but if used incorrectly I seen differentials explode along with the Lokka castings. I have learned from the few who had deep pockets just bought everything they could and still not go where my pathfinder goes lol.

If I swap a M205 front I will run it open with a rear locker till I decide I need a front locker again because it makes driving in 4wd miserable when the front wants to steer for you lol. Now that I em running the R230 It gets me more excited to swap those spider gears to an electric Aussie one. Front locker really has been over kill for me but it has gotten me up stuff I didnt think it would make lol.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm

Rugged Rocks sells the Armada/Titan RCV axles for $2k.

I have looked at scenarios like the R180, I would rather have broken CVs than a broken front diff. I do have the M205 in front and even then I'm skeptical since I've read about Titan and Armada front diff failures as well, but I'm also going front locker so that should alleviate some stress from the diff itself. There was a trail I hit last year that had fine sand and I don't think I would have accomplished it with just a rear locker either. Maybe with momentum and recklessness I might have overcome it. I'm literally overbuilding my rig just to accomplish that one trail :oops: Then will move onto other trails after that. My build is based upon the quote from AvP & George Ellis, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Otherwise, I do know that the "driver mod" is better than just throwing money at a "problem" :lol:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”