Rear End Feels Unstable

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Rear End Feels Unstable

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:25 pm

So I've noticed that the rear end of my 08 V8, feels unstable. It's kind of a combination of driving a boat in bumpy waters, kinda sways back and forth, and the back feels light like it's not planted down to the ground. It came with Airlift 1000 air springs, but I cut it out and chucked it because I'm not overlanding anytime soon nor being used to tow. I guess I should have put some air into the air springs first to see if it made a difference in ride quality. But then that would just be hiding the problem.

It has rear Radflo shocks and not sure who makes the lift springs. I thought Ironman use to make them that color and then I found Kings Springs in AUS come in the same color. Anywho, I was inspecting the rear suspension and can see that the rear shocks were mounted with an angle to it so I'll have to try to reseat them and the coil spring insulator pads were installed incorrectly.

Right side, arrow is pointing towards the front wheels:

Left Side, arrow is pointing straight back to the rear:

The arrow on the coil spring insulator is suppose to point straight out towards the outside of the vehicle and not just randomly placed in there. So I'll start off with that most likely this weekend if I can get the nuts and bolts off to see if it fixes the rear end.

Thupertrooper

Re: Rear End Feels Unstable

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:23 pm

Just wondering if it helped? Mine seem to be not facing the right way also and will be flipping them soon.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:32 am

I have actually not been able to bust the bolts loose for the spring bucket. I tried it with my half inch breaker, but I was afraid of breaking it. I'll have to try to break the bolts loose with my 3/4" breaker.

I was planning to try again tomorrow if I have time or next weekend. I would like to swap out the springs for a pair of Dobinsons or perhaps the heavy duty OME springs. I saw yesterday that the back is actually sagging(sits noticeably lower than the front) so these springs are too soft for a welded spare tire holder. I couldn't imagine when I actually put my spare wheel on with some tools, snacks, and drinks when I'm going out with the guys.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:32 am

These trucks are chronically undersprung in the rear. I used to run 5-10 psi in my Airlift bags, but the real final solution is Moog springs. They are what the truck should have come with stock; match the front spring rate and are negligible lift, maybe half an inch. I put new Airlift springs in but run them 0 psi until needed.

A stock Pathfinder is automatically identifiable on the highway because of the wallow, especially over bumps or turns. If you watch a truck like mine, no wallow, and it tracks on the highway as close to a big sedan feeling as you will get.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:51 am

I agree, as I personally experienced that on my 2011 when it was stock.

Unfortunately, my issue pertains to a Pathy that already has some lift springs so I'm thinking my springs are too soft because of the additional welded on tire carrier in the rear or it's probably the coil spring insulators. I think it's the springs being too soft, but adjusting the insulators are free :lol:

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:56 pm

I know this may be a dumb question but have you carefully checked all the bushings?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:07 pm

No, not at all. That was actually one of the first things I inspected as well. All bushings and ball joints look good in the rear.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:00 pm

I'm voting springs - I remember the arrows on the insulators, but do not remember an obvious reason "why" they are marked. I don't think they are stepped one way or another for the coil end, etc. Only thing it would affect is the static ride height or sag on one side vs. the other.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:49 pm

I would bet it's a blown shock in the rear.
This would cause it to be uneven, wallow. One side is absorbing, the other is not?
It actually happened to my year old Bilstein. Seized.

It's an easy check to take them both off and see if they return to position at the relative rate.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:23 pm

I remember I once bought an Xterra. seemed fine testdriving it around the block.
but driving home the front end wallowed badly.
Took months to figure it out.
Finally almost by accident figured out it was shocks, after a couple hops told me "front shocks are fine".
Bought slightly used ones off a forum member and fixed problem.
Not promising this is the same.. just throwing it out there..

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 pm

I think we're all on the right track. After driving around with my new tires the last couple weeks. Definitely need stiffer springs and the rear shocks may need to be rebuilt. I took a simple turn pretty quick as I always do with my other vehicles and felt like there were no rebound or anything holding my rear driver when the weight shifted to that side. Felt like the whole rear end just dipped with all that weight transfer back there which could also be a sign of needing stiffer springs or the springs are just deadweight. Going over speed bumps my rear end bounces. I'm going to try to swap my medium OME springs from my 2011 over first to see if those would fix the sag, otherwise, I'd have to go with their heavy springs. I still want to try Dobinson springs though.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to rebuild the rear shocks and coilovers for another year or two. Would like to replace Radflo with King Shocks.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 am

My truck has been wondering like crazy after swapping springs to a stiffer setup I had ran before. Didn't make sense since nothing on the alignment was changed. After reading these springs being directional I went and tested it myself.
Seems by design the ends of the coils need to be facing the inside towards the Diff. The arrows on the rubber ends need to be facing outward towards the tires, but in my case they were not evenly facing the same way. I decided I would center the top arrow mostly for a test.

Also a note on these bushings if you guys lift your Pathy with any suspension lift , I have learned it helps with articulation if you reset your bolts with new "droop" length.

Still learning the geometry of the rear but front I have dialed in. Here is a video I made of running Airlift 1000 airbags after my Armada swap.
Note I was running 0 PSI for a while and can say the rear suspension would cycle 2-3 times more with same shocks/springs. Now I can take a corner and it feels like I installed my swaybars back on lol. Less wondering but still have to do my alignment in the front as it pulls evenly.

I would recommend running airbags in line with upgraded coils. Depending on what cargo weight you have the airbags can help tune suggested comfort.

Video:
https://youtu.be/JA3nhgukYRk

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:17 am

On my last trip, the rear end on mine felt unstable. Especially noticeable at highway speeds when going over bumps or uneven highway sections. After a while, I determined that it felt like the shocks were dampening at different rates on each side in the back.

I just changed my rear shocks with new ones and problem solved.

There can probably be other causes of this issue, but in my case it was the old shocks.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 pm

That air lift kit video really convinced me to try and add these to the rear.
When I rewatched the video, it almost seems that the tires don't stay on the road that well at the low psi.

I might have to try switching out my Bilsteins and check my springs (which are variable rate AC Delco), but for what ever reason, the truck's dynamics are totally changed when I have these installed. I have them at 25 psi and can't be happier.

The truck's rear really feels like it's tracking the front response for the first time...and I can't figure out why these air lift kit would make such a difference over straight bumps, and I know the roads around my place so well, that I sequence my butt squeezes....

Might be I have something else going on in the rear, but for now, it's as if I've gone from rocky road to bumpy road by simply installing these.

find_your_path_r51

Postby find_your_path_r51 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:11 am

@silverarrow27

Where you able to figure anything out in the past year? :D

I do run Ironman Springs in the back and changed the Ironman Foam Cell Shocks to ext. Radflos with res. Since then the rear end feels waaaay too mushy, soft and something seems to bind or bottom out there when driving over speed bumps to fast.

The Radflos came straight from Z1 offroad.
I´ve always been dissapointed with the Ironman Springs, at least the older yellow ones, which is why they are my first part to be changed out in getting hold on this rear end problematics.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”