SIEMED Fog Lights - I like them

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

VStar650CL

Re: SIEMED Fog Lights - I like them

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:01 pm

I always go with Diode Dynamics when they make the type I need. Simple reasoning:
1) High quality, excellent heat engineering
2) Made in USA (the only major brand that is)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:14 am

Finally installed these last night. They pair very, very well with the Katana LED bulbs for the stock headlamps in my 2005.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:08 am

Lots of choices here.

We just came back from a 1200 KM road trip driving through the hills. My 24" LED Light bar was such a savior, no need for highbeams when you have one of these! I would love to upgrade, my fog lights as the housings are pretty foggy from all the rock chips. Those SIEMD ones look great but, I'd something with a bit wider beam. Stay tuned! :D

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:51 pm

NWPathfinder wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:08 am
Lots of choices here.

We just came back from a 1200 KM road trip driving through the hills. My 24" LED Light bar was such a savior, no need for highbeams when you have one of these! I would love to upgrade, my fog lights as the housings are pretty foggy from all the rock chips. Those SIEMD ones look great but, I'd something with a bit wider beam. Stay tuned! :D
Are you saying you ran your ligthbar on public highways?
Bad boy you. :P

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:24 pm

NWPathfinder wrote:
Lots of choices here.

They have the right lens and cut off for a beam across the road. It's road-wide for sure.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:46 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:51 pm
NWPathfinder wrote:
Lots of choices here.

:p I know I wasn't supposed to but, it was so much nicer with it on when there was nobody coming the other way. As soon as I saw a blip of light from the other direction, I turned it off. Bad Canadian guy. :D

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:26 am

I just installed the Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs to replace my headlights. They are definitely brighter, and help modernize the look of her, but I'm not sure they were worth the $130CDN I paid for them now that I see all the Amazon options lol. I'll order the Auxito yellow LED fog light bulbs next, then slowly update the turn signals and tail lights to LED.
wbruner wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:21 pm
Then I added these in the lower bumper and wired them to come on with my hi-beams. It makes all the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-ZH302-Dr ... 7GN9&psc=1
Do you have any pictures of these installed?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:33 am

Just an FYI for those considering LED upgrades on R51's, the turn signals aren't really worth doing as a straight bulb swap because the flasher relay is integrated into the BCM. That means ballasts are necessary to prevent hyperflash, you can't just substitute a solid state flasher like you can on earlier models. So there's no savings in operating current, and behind a red or amber lens, you won't really see much difference between LED and incandescent.

You should also be careful when converting brake and reverse lamps to LED. The TCM's in almost all Nissans monitor the brake and reverse circuits, and some of them will misbehave if there's electrical leakage into the circuits because of a worn switch, harness issue, or water leak. To head off any possible issues, wire a 330 ohm 1 watt resistor to ground from anyplace in the circuit as part of your installation. That will provide a ground bias in case of leakage and prevent the 2~3V "diode drop" across the LED's from affecting transmission operation.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:00 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:33 am
Just an FYI for those considering LED upgrades on R51's...
Thanks, that is good to know!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:26 pm

I have all-LED turn signals from not-fly by night Amazon companies. They have built in or inline resistors so there's no hyperflash, and red behind red is way brighter. But...some brands work and some don't, and the same brand may not work next time. YMMV, I keep regular bulbs in the truck just in case anything weird happens. Have had one brake light go out and require replacement (meaning someone pointed it out to me and I had to order another one), otherwise no issues so far.

Sort of related, I had to update my motorcycle's electrical system to accommodate LEDs and other things that draw less power. But not for anything relevant to Pathfinders. I don't worry about people seeing the Pathfinder. My VFR's lights are at driver level, and several people with normal red/green vision have told me they would despise getting stuck behind it anywhere I was riding the brakes. Same bulbs as the Pathfinder. That and a slightly loud (but not obnoxiously loud) exhaust to keep cages aware of my presence seems about right to me.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:10 am

Well Finally replaced my fog lights. I know this thread is old but, wanted to chime in for future users. These bulbs are a fantastic fitment to the Pathfinder and certainly light up the road way better. I had a Fog light go out and instead of just putting a bulb in the old, rock pitted fixture, I decided it was time!

{url]https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Retro ... r=8-1&th=1[/url]

The light dispersal is great and really gives you a wide vision of everything down low. Now, I just have to wait for a headlight bulb to go and then it's new bulbs in there. I've always been skeptical of the LED replacements but, i think the tech is there now and now it could be time!!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:58 pm

NWPathfinder wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:46 pm
palmerwmd wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:51 pm
NWPathfinder wrote:
Lots of choices here.

:p I know I wasn't supposed to but, it was so much nicer with it on when there was nobody coming the other way. As soon as I saw a blip of light from the other direction, I turned it off. Bad Canadian guy. :D
I must confess on my Xterra with the factory roof lights, when I had replaced the bulbs with Phillips 100% ( advertised) brighter bulbs there were times when I used them on a public highway.
In the boonies of appalachia with no trafficaround me.
With that much extra light thrown night driving in a challending environment was so much easier and less tiring to the eyes.

I also put the same bulbs into my Pathfinder and Xterra main headlights. Too bad they wear down within a year or even less.
When I say "wear down" I dont mean they fail and blow out I mean they tend to lose their brightness quickly, so it sneaks up on you and suddenyl you realize there not all that much light anymore.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm

NWPathfinder wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:10 am
Well Finally replaced my fog lights. I know this thread is old but, wanted to chime in for future users. These bulbs are a fantastic fitment to the Pathfinder and certainly light up the road way better. I had a Fog light go out and instead of just putting a bulb in the old, rock pitted fixture, I decided it was time!

{url]https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Retro ... r=8-1&th=1[/url]

The light dispersal is great and really gives you a wide vision of everything down low. Now, I just have to wait for a headlight bulb to go and then it's new bulbs in there. I've always been skeptical of the LED replacements but, i think the tech is there now and now it could be time!!
Thank you for the update!!!
I think this is valuable market research for the group! 8)

Return to “R51 Electrical”