Yet Another Armada Swap study... no dice.

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Re: Yet Another Armada Swap study... no dice.

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:22 pm

No additional travel in the rear with that Armada swap Thupertrooper? I was thinking of going that route since it makes more financial sense since I'm not rock crawling, but need additional travel more than what the factory rear subframe is giving me though. Even if it gave 2-4 more inches of travel would be good for the cost of a rear subframe as oppose to a rear SAS which could run upwards of thousands depending how crazy one gets with it.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:35 am

No extra droop but mostly because the new shocks are limiting travel. I actually ran the most travel with the OEM setup because I ran specific VW bilstein shocks and poly bushings. The rubber in all the bushings is made out of the worst material to abuse. Most of the pros are it tracks straight since back matches front, More stable on or off road. Anything is better than OEM so the choice is yours on which route since they both will need fabrication.
Attachments
IMG_8657.jpg
IMG_8646.jpg

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:47 am

Thanks for the pictures. That's with the 4" drop bracket and Armada subframe? Even at full droop like that, the CV axle angle looks to be okay.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:23 am

Correct both have Drop bracket ( Needed to run 35s without ripping fenders) Top is the Armada subframe bottom is Pathy.
Pathy subframe I ran wheel adapters 1.5" but still too narrow. Now Im wider without any spacers, alot safer. I lost about 2" of down travel but gained it as uptravel( no bottoming out shocks)

As of now I plan on doubling up on shocks since my configuration get too much leverage on the single shock.

Took truck down for a test run and got some good footage for being alone( Do not attempt alone)

https://youtu.be/9iruaKDa7KU

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:56 am

That last obstacle you did I wouldn't have done alone, especially because I'm still open diff front and rear. My TRE lockers are on order.

I can definitely tell in your pictures that the oem had way more droop like you mentioned. I'm currently running 2" spacers(don't like it either, but it'll do for now since I'm still not wheeling it yet as some work still needs to be performed on it) on 37s right now and I've been slowly trimming my back wheel well, which the cutting is no longer there. I'm having to cut into my rear doors now. I did some more testing this afternoon and it looks like I'll have to lop another 1/2" off the rear doors in the bottom corner to clear the 37s. I previously had 35s, but I thought it looked a bit small for the Pathy so I went with 37s and it looks just right and I figured the larger tires would be a workaround for the IRS to give me more leverage/tire patch contact to the ground in situations where I need more flex. So far I haven't had a single wheel lifted off the ground where my 2011 with King Shocks coilovers, SPC ucas, and OME springs and shocks on 33s would.

Once I get my 37s trimmed, I'll take a video of where I do my testing. It's a dirt road nearby.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 am

Really want to see it on 37s. I been wanting to slap 37s on for shyts and giggles but really don't want to cut the rear doors lol. Even with the 4" drop bracket and HD springs I will tuck that tire. The front I have plenty of room. Currently its my daily driver and need tires asap, might get some Titan/Armada wheels to Daily and 37s for the weekend lol.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 am

Here is an update video I made on the rear armada swap
Still working out the bugs (clunking fox2.0s, radlfos)

In search of some poly replacement bushings ( non eccentric )
I started running air in the airbags and seems to fix the OEM sagging from the Armada geometry.
10Psi seems to be my on road setting ( loaded up tools, gear, etc.)
5PSI for Off road

https://youtu.be/JA3nhgukYRk

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:54 pm

How do you get that camera to mount like that.
It's a cool way to see what suspension travel.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:43 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:54 pm
How do you get that camera to mount like that.
It's a cool way to see what suspension travel.
I used a gopro with the clamp mount

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”