Standard Aftermarket Coilover vs Titan Swap w/ Aftermarket Coilover

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Standard Aftermarket Coilover vs Titan Swap w/ Aftermarket Coilover

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:41 pm

I have the pleasure of owning two R51s, both V8s, and both with lifts. I thought I would show you somewhat of a visual difference between the suspension travel between the two.

My 2011 with King Shocks Coilovers, SPC UCAs, and 33" tires:

My 2008 with Titan Swap, Radlo Coilovers, and possibly PRG UCAs, and 35" tires:

My 3 ton jack stands can be used fine on my 2011 with my front wheels off the ground. My 2008, I would have to jack up high enough for the wheels to lift off the ground, then take off the wheels, then lower it down to my maxed out jack stands. Now I have to invest into a pair of 6 ton jack stands(reasonable) or off road jack stands(expensive).
Last edited by silverarrow27 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooMuchControl

Re: Standard Aftermarket Coilover vs Titan Swap w/ Aftermarket Coilover

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:00 pm

Love the rims on the 2008!

You are an ambassador to the brand!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:33 pm

So hot both of them! :D :D :D :D :D
And like TMC said: Ambassador to the brand!

GED

Postby GED » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:54 am

Both are good looking !

On your Titan-swapped one,

- How much lift did you get out of it?

- What are those fenders? (Frontier ones?)

- Did you replace the Hubs/Knuckles to get a different bolt pattern (Titan one)?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:16 pm

- I'm not quite sure how much lift it gave because I bought it with all the mods and lift already in place. Which saved me a lot of coin, headache, blood, sweat, & tears. :mrgreen: Comparing it to my black one, I'd guesstimated it to be around 4-5" of lift? Although could be 3-4" of lift because the white one is sitting on 35" tires and my black one on 33" tires.

-They are Frontier ones from McNeil Racing https://www.mcneilracinginc.com/collect ... n-frontier

-The hubs/spindle is still the stock R51 Pathfinder. I do plan to pick up a pair of Armada/Titan spindles though as I also plan to go with a Titan rear solid axle to fully convert over to 6x5.5 lug pattern either at the end of the year or possibly next year.

Still working out some kinks on the white one and making sure it's road worthy before I spend a large chunk of change on suspension work. I have a set of 37" tires ready to go onto to white any day now too once I figure out the brake issues. Finally found out the cause, I made an amateur mistake of installing the front LH caliper on the right and the front RH caliper to the left so the bleed valves are on the bottom instead of on top hence why I've been unable to bleed the brakes and work up any pressure. Hopefully I don't have to replace the master cylinder also because it already has all new calipers, rotors, parking brake shoes/hardware, and extended steel braided brake lines(rear only since the front already had them). Don't think I'll get a chance to swap the calipers around until next week when it warms up a bit though.

Here's a frontal shot of the two to give you an idea of the lift difference.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:26 am

Very nice setup on the 08.

Noticed the South Dakota Plates! (Right next door to ya in MN!)

For your tubular bumper, where did you have yours made?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:51 pm

I'm in Southern CA. It was originally a WA car, then I believe went to Oregon, then to South Dakota for a year. The previous owner moved to San Diego last year and didn't have enough parking spaces for it so he had to sell since he also has a Tundra. Lives with 6 roommates and each all have vehicles and motorcycles as well.

The bumper and rear tire carrier were made by the WA owner. I believe all previous owners were friends so it's been sold/traded between "family".

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 am

The owner of that white Pathy used to build bike racks up in Oregon. Not sure what he is doing now days but I have seen his rock crawling buggy and it aint no joke.

Im glad to see his build continue. His custom front bumper was always my favorite.

Do you have any specs on the rear suspension he used? Both Pathfinders are built tastefully

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:59 pm

Don't know how I missed your post in here. Sorry!

You are correct, the owner that custom the bumper, roof rack, and tire carrier use to build bike racks. I wish he would have built some sliders also while he was at it LOL

I do like his custom front bumper. I may actually add a hoop to the front to protect the radiator area. Been a few times where deer has ran across the highway in front of me.

His rear suspension was a 1.5 or 2" subframe drop, King Springs and extended Radflo shocks with reservoirs. Simple and straight forward.

The King Springs as mentioned in my other thread about the rear suspension is too soft since I have a noticeable sag. I hope I made the right decision of buying a pair of rear HD Ironman Springs - rated for 550+ lbs over stock. Considering the rear tire rack probably adds 100-150 lbs by itself. The spare adds another 70-80 lbs. Wife and kids will bring that over the 550 lbs easily. However, I'll have to deal with the stiff rear springs when on my own. If the HD Ironman Springs are too hard, I might pick up the Dobinsons(not sure if their springs are medium duty or if it's just OE replacement though).

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:34 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:59 pm
Don't know how I missed your post in here. Sorry!

You are correct, the owner that custom the bumper, roof rack, and tire carrier use to build bike racks. I wish he would have built some sliders also while he was at it LOL

I do like his custom front bumper. I may actually add a hoop to the front to protect the radiator area. Been a few times where deer has ran across the highway in front of me.

His rear suspension was a 1.5 or 2" subframe drop, King Springs and extended Radflo shocks with reservoirs. Simple and straight forward.

The King Springs as mentioned in my other thread about the rear suspension is too soft since I have a noticeable sag. I hope I made the right decision of buying a pair of rear HD Ironman Springs - rated for 550+ lbs over stock. Considering the rear tire rack probably adds 100-150 lbs by itself. The spare adds another 70-80 lbs. Wife and kids will bring that over the 550 lbs easily. However, I'll have to deal with the stiff rear springs when on my own. If the HD Ironman Springs are too hard, I might pick up the Dobinsons(not sure if their springs are medium duty or if it's just OE replacement though).

Very nice, thanks for the information. Once you get your HD springs could you measure out the specs for us? Curious on what length spring they decided to run.

My truck rides a little stiff without and camping gear but the drive is so much better. I don't get the bottoming out and sway anymore. Are the King spings in the rear?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:44 pm

Yep, once I get a chance to open the box. I'll measure the HD Ironman spring lengths for you.

The King springs are in the rear.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”