Transmission Clunk

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Transmission Clunk

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi All,

Haven't figured out where to look next. So perhaps someone here has some advice. Or maybe its always like this but I don't feel like that is normal.

When I shift out of park after the rolling slightly back while in park there is a terrible clunk and a bit of resistance getting the tranny out of park. I know I need to adjust the parking brake but haven't gotten to that yet.

I have checked the neutral safety switch using my ears and using the neutral safety override.

My next guess is that the linkage is worn so was thinking I should look there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with a 2-3 inch lift.

Thanks
Crow

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Transmission Clunk

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Folks can anyone help this gentleman?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:57 pm

The shift cable is bracketed to the tranny, so bad engine or trans mounts won't usually affect it like they do on some other vehicles. However, you could still have a stretched cable or some wear in the shifter that caused it to get out of adjustment. The first thing to do is check that. See AT-216 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 7%2Fat.pdf

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:57 pm
The shift cable is bracketed to the tranny, so bad engine or trans mounts won't usually affect it like they do on some other vehicles. However, you could still have a stretched cable or some wear in the shifter that caused it to get out of adjustment. The first thing to do is check that. See AT-216 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 7%2Fat.pdf
Thanks I will inspect and try adjusting.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”