Severely rusted trailer hitch and MANY other potential problems, 2008 V8

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

stugry

Severely rusted trailer hitch and MANY other potential problems, 2008 V8

Postby stugry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:42 pm

Im at a crossroads with the pathfinder. It needs some work and it looks to be pretty expensive so I'm trying to see what NEEDS done and what I might be able to do myself. Shop told me the rear trailer hitch (bar that connects hitch ti frame) is so rusted it's not to be used. I can easily replace but I can't find the OEM part anywhere.
Next is loose input shaft in transfer case. It doesn't seem bad but does have some play. Shop recommended complete TC replacement. No clue if true or what to do if so.
The front diff is leaking either/or at thr shaft input or the main seal in front. Shop suggested replacing the seal.
The suspension parts on front and back are also aged and need replaced but im planning on raising it about 2" so that needs to be figured ot anyway.
Cracked headers too, but I already have catless headers and tubes, just need to install them and retune.
Front right wheel has about 3/4 inch play when pushed from 3 and 9 so I've ordered new hubs for both front wheels already.

First off, am I crazy to even try to get this thing back to good? My wife and kid love this vehicle and replacing it at current vehicle prices isn't much better.
Second, do these issues and repair suggestions sound accurate and if so, could a person with decent mechanical aptitude DIY these things?

Thanks in advance.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Severely rusted trailer hitch and MANY other potential problems, 2008 V8

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:48 pm

I'll wait until more competent voices than my own advise on the technical details but want to remind you of this:
- A mid sized V8 body-on-frame SUV with a 5.6 liter nearly 400lbs of torque is nearly impossible to replace at a reasonable price.
- Used Armadas that are fresh enough to warrant a purchase are out there for around 20-30 k
- Lexus GX460 (close in size and function albeit looks better of course but with much les torque) are more expensive yet.

I often eye newer vehicles than my 08, V8 with 185,000 miles.. but in the end, what for?
They will look nice+ modern but will offer little to no actual additional use-value, while costing me tens of thousands.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:48 pm

I'm with Palmer. If the hitch is that badly rusted then make sure the rust isn't severe anyplace in the frame. Assuming it isn't, VK Pathies are gems. Fix it up.

stugry

Postby stugry » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:49 pm

I've decided to fix her up. Got both front hubs installed today and ordered the rear hitch bar. I'm actually excited about getting it all good. Thanks for the inspiration. Just needed the motivation from someone not intimately involved in the situation. Now I just need to replace front and rear suspensions, figure out the TC and diff leaks, replace the headers, figure out why the windows an seats dont work properly and rust proof the rear frame. Easy peasy...lol

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:24 pm

stugry wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:49 pm
I've decided to fix her up. Got both front hubs installed today and ordered the rear hitch bar. I'm actually excited about getting it all good. Thanks for the inspiration. Just needed the motivation from someone not intimately involved in the situation. Now I just need to replace front and rear suspensions, figure out the TC and diff leaks, replace the headers, figure out why the windows an seats dont work properly and rust proof the rear frame. Easy peasy...lol
Looks like you have your work cut our for you! :D
But you are going to love the results :wink:

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:48 pm

Replacing a vehicle right now is pretty painful. You didn't mention the mileage or anything about the condition of the engine or transmission. But If your doing the work yourself i would lean towards fixing.

stugry

Postby stugry » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:38 am

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:48 pm
Replacing a vehicle right now is pretty painful. You didn't mention the mileage or anything about the condition of the engine or transmission. But If your doing the work yourself i would lean towards fixing.
Its only got 117000mi. Its primarily been my hobby farm vehicle for 5 years though, so a lot of the miles have been pulling various sized trailers. Overall the engine feels to be in good shape. I guess most do though.... until they dont. It's a KY vehicle so its got normal 14 year old vehicle rust but the body and interior are in decent shape.

I replaced the rear hitch bar and both front wheel bearings. Getting ready to tackle the headers in the next week or two.

The fuel gauge quit reading a while ago so im assuming it's the fuel sender unit. Do any of you guys have experience changing that out?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:34 am

Tank has to drop on an R51, the sender is on the fuel pump. On most of them you can get at the connector by peeling back the left rear wheel well liner, make sure the female pin on the ground circuit isn't blackened (common problem caused by old fuel pumps sucking too much startup current). To check the gauge wiring, short the Brown and Black/Yellow wires (pins 2 and 5) together at the pump connector C5. The gauge should swing to full, if not the problem is in the wiring or cluster and not the sender. You can see the wiring diagram for the cluster starting on MWI-43 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2Fmwi.pdf

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:18 pm

Health of everything can be tested, as well.
Nothing gives confidence more than performing a compression test.

Nonetheless, trying to purchase a Japanese V8 truck is going to run you in to $100K territory!

It's a bit weird where I am.
I've done my fair share of going to recyclers to grab little parts and screws, and I'm always puzzled how these vehicles get there. Some are in decent shape.

Two years ago, I needed a bumper, and a mechanic was parting out a 2007.
The vehicle was from the south and the transmission crapped out on the owner and they decided to part it out.
This truck was completely spotless - barely a scratch on it anywhere. I almost think the mechanic conned the owner...

Parts are very reasonable on these trucks. Plentiful. And up to a couple of years ago, most Frontier pieces are direct fits. In base form the 2022 Frontier is going to be unchanged for the next 5-8 years, and that basically means that certain components will remain unchanged for over 20+ years, to a degree.

Nissan, itself, is no fool. They have a reliable working platform.

For myself, I've saved $$$ not going to the dealer, and using this place for information.
Every 90 days I drive my truck, it's paid for itself, versus a new payment.

I 'm happy everytime I tell people - can you believe this truck is almost 20 years old? And they look around wondering which truck I'm talking about.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”