crank, no start after messing with VVT solenoid and sensors

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

agator08

crank, no start after messing with VVT solenoid and sensors

Postby agator08 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Hey all, truck has been purring along for a solid year without issue.. i love these things, but really appreciate any guidance!! … Right now I have a crank but no start after messing with the VVT solenoid and ITC sensors. 2002 Pathfinder 3.5 SE

This issue started as a p1145…. I decided to switch the intake timing control sensors from the driver side, with the passenger side one, in that hope that the code would follow the sensor and id get a p1146. I cleaned a bit of gunk off both sensors with some throttle body cleaner and cleared the code and drove happy for a while (probably 500+ km, long enough that I’d forgotten about the issue and thought that cleaning the sensor solved it!)…. I also did an oil change a couple of days later.

The p1145 came back a week ago! … Given it wasn’t a p1146 and after trawling the forums… I started to think that it must be the VVT solenoid (driver side) ... So, I took the solenoid off to test it. Removed/unplugged maybe 7 harness connectors in total to get the solenoid.

I tested the solenoid itself with 12v power (it worked and was clean) and tried to test the solenoid harness connector – but I wasn’t getting any clear voltage across it (with the ignition on) … so I fiddled about a bit and figured that voltage probably isn’t supplied to the solenoid unless the engine is running, so I thought I’d put everything back together and call it a day. Well…. I reconnected everything and went to start the truck – cranking strong, but no start. Note: I accidentally left the ignition ON while I plugged it all back in… triple checked I didn’t leave anything unplugged. Doesn’t seem to be immobilizer (that just keeps steadily blinking as usual and I’ve tried both keys) … now I have a whole lot of new codes!! P1490, P1131, P1111, P0447!
What have I done and how can I get my pathy running again!? Any help very appreciated!

VStar650CL

Re: crank, no start after messing with VVT solenoid and sensors

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 am

You'll only see voltage across an IVT connector when the IVT is actually functioning. When it's at rest with the connector hooked up, both sides will read 12V. That's because the IVT's have 12V power at all times and the ECM grounds the coils to operate them, so when they're quiescent you read 12V power on one side and 12V through the coil on the other.

The IVT drivers are fused through the ECM fuse in the IPDM (usually a 10A or 15A fuse labeled "EGI"). If that fuse is blown you'll get a security lamp and a no-start. If the coil fuse is blown (usually 10A/15A labeled "IGN") you'll get a no-start without the security lamp. Check them both first.

agator08

Postby agator08 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:36 am

ECM fuse in the IPDM (usually a 10A or 15A fuse labeled "EGI").

This is the relay on the passenger side - the only one EGI is the largeish orange relay, which I tested by swapping it with the identical 'horn' one from the relay box on the drivers side - no change.

I also checked all the fuses under the steering wheel (the one marked IGN is 7.5A and it was fine.

I just (re) swapped the IVT sensors (left and right banks) to see if one wasnt connected and no change in the condituion...

Any other suggestions? man i'm tearing my hair out!
IMG_7082 (002).jpg
IMG_7081 (002).jpg

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm

Try pulling both cam sensors. VQ's are a little weird about that, if one fails they'll no-start but if both fail they'll start on the crank sensor. If it starts after a long crank when both cams are pulled, one of the two is bad.

agator08

Postby agator08 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:44 pm

nada so far with both disconnected. but when i disconnected only one of the cam sensors i just got a really really shaky, weak start that died almost immediately.
I'm ordering 2 new cam sensors so i'll see if those make a difference on Wednesday when they arrive. tx for the help so far!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”