Add Bluetooth or new head unit

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

thecatman

Add Bluetooth or new head unit

Postby thecatman » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Hey all...first post.
Couldnt find an exact answer to my question....
So im thinking of buying an 06 LE, has the bose system but no bluetooth. I see a couple bluetooth add on adapters but i dont want to have to switch input to aux or anything else....
Id like to swap head units to something with bluetooth and whether or not i have nav at that point doesnt matter i use my phone anyway but im concerned with a couple other things.
If i put a new head unit in I want to integrate to the existing Bose system and make sure it works without issues.
2. I want to maintain steering wheel controls.

Is this possible?
Are there head units that will work....is this a double din or an odd size?
If I can make all of the above work id want to put in a back up cam, it doesnt have one...

Thanks.....glad to be here

EDIT: I will never use a cd so I can get rid of that functionality....

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Re: Add Bluetooth or new head unit

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:48 am

I have been looking into a similar thing myself. I have a 2007 pathfinder s 4x4.

No bose so I do not know the answer to your question, but I think the speakers would still work, but part of the bose system is the head unit.

Steering wheel controls should be workable. It appears to require an extra module.

take a look at crutchfield.
https://www.crutchfield.com

They sell install kits with the receiver so that you don't have to cut into your harness and can include the module to have your steering wheel controls continue to work.

This is a double din space. This is a good time to look into a backup camera as well and think about apple car play and/or android auto.

Let us know what you end up going with.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am

Since I may be replacing my Pioneer soon - check out the Atoto S8 line of double-DIN receivers on Amazon. I was waiting for the usual stuff on Crutchfield to come down in price but this looks like the way. Several threads on the XTerra and Frontier forums about it. Carplay, Android Auto, and camera capability for a little more than what you would pay for a good single-DIN audio receiver with a good built in amp.

Has some things you won't get on the big name BT receivers too - like BT codecs other than SBC: AptX HD and AAC.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:52 pm

ShipFixer wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am
Since I may be replacing my Pioneer soon - check out the Atoto S8 line of double-DIN receivers on Amazon. I was waiting for the usual stuff on Crutchfield to come down in price but this looks like the way. Several threads on the XTerra and Frontier forums about it. Carplay, Android Auto, and camera capability for a little more than what you would pay for a good single-DIN audio receiver with a good built in amp.

Has some things you won't get on the big name BT receivers too - like BT codecs other than SBC: AptX HD and AAC.
I looked at that Atoto and frankly its not that cheap for a random brand i never heard of before it doesn't seem like a value purchase. the boss brand at least seems to have some cost savings while at least being around for awhile.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:20 am

The closest Boss units to it in specs are about the same price - but don't have AptX, etc. If that doesn't matter as much or you plan on running wired connections, then it wouldn't matter.

But I stuffed my doors full of deadening and insulation, so AptX and AAC here I come (when not wired) ;-)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:03 pm

I'm torn between these two:

https://www.niftycity.shop/products/nis ... esla-style

and

https://www.niftycity.shop/products/nis ... ag_organic

Pricey, but worth it for me personally.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:10 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:03 pm
I'm torn between these two:

https://www.niftycity.shop/products/nis ... esla-style lol

and

https://www.niftycity.shop/products/nis ... ag_organic

Pricey, but worth it for me personally.

Way to rich for my wallet. Also those prices don’t include wireless CarPlay, and only works for 2008 and newer.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:01 pm

I think it may be the only option for the 2008+ due to the hvac connection to the head unit.

According to seller, wireless Carplay and Android Auto.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:37 pm

Carjoying - I know stupid name - seems to be a good make at a reasonable value.
They used to be flooding Amazon, and now they have their own website.

The one thing that bothers me on a lot of these units is the virtual volume button. I think in these pictures, it integrates into the 2008+ HVAC etc?

Most automakers - especially Honda - reverted back to having a physical knob on the front entertainment system.

I have a Sony XAV100 that I purchased three years ago for $250 CAD on Kijiji (ebay classifieds for the US folks). That little volume button in the most used feature.

Works with everything perfectly, and the BOSE system. Crutchfield has the kit to tap into to BOSE.

Overall it's been a great performer and reliable. Android auto and the screen is quite good - no glare - so I can use it everywhere, all day, no issues. Screen is small by today's standards.

The Fast Lane Truck had a guy that purchased a large unit and stuck it in his Titan.
Around the 7:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUaBAD ... nel=TFLnow

Return to “R51 Electrical”