Cruise "SET" light flashing

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Cruise "SET" light flashing

Postby Zen_master » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:26 am

Hello everyone. Yesterday I was logging a stretch of highway driving and attempted to engage the cruise control. Depressing the "ON/OFF" button resulted in the usual illumination of the CRUISE light on the instrument cluster, however before I could flick the "SET" switch the word SET appeared flashing on the cluster under the backlit CRUISE and the cruise control would not engage. All other operation of the vehicle seemed normal and once at my destination a restart of the vehicle resulted in normal operation of all systems include the cruise control functionality.

I thought it prudent to check with you all if anyone has encountered a similar situation, and perhaps what was the fix, if any. I'd like to get ahead of this now if it is a harbinger of things to come such as complete failure of the cruise control function, rather than just intermittent outage.

The vehicle in question is a R51 V8 to the extent the mechanical parts are different than the 6 cyclinder.

Thanks in advance.

VStar650CL

Re: Cruise "SET" light flashing

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:58 am

Check for "past" codes in the ECM, the flashing "set" lamp means the ECM had a problem with either the ASCD brake pedal switch or something else affecting the cruise system. Since it cleared, it may just mean crappy contacts in the pedal switch.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:50 pm

Vstar hitting another one out of the Ballpark! :D

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:55 am

Thanks. So would the fix be replacing the ASCD brake pedal switch? Just trying to get prepared if it becomes a recurring issues.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:22 am

Zen_master wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:55 am
Thanks. So would the fix be replacing the ASCD brake pedal switch? Just trying to get prepared if it becomes a recurring issues.
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions before getting it scanned, stuff as goofy as bad spiral cable can cause the ECM to disable the CC. The ECM is in direct charge of the CC in an R51 system, so even a cheap scanner should tell you something. Hit Auto Zone if you don't want to buy anything.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:33 pm

Went through and crossed off all the possible causes listed on YouTube and ultimately landed on the one I was dreading the most - failing clock spring. Given the sensitivity of the issue with it pertaining to the airbag, had the shop perform the work with OEM parts. Unreal what service costs have increased to.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 pm

Squib sensor. My life for a squib sensor! This video shows exactly why these fail. $15 part but it's a critical one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoBiyn ... =CalvinLau

Dude buys one from Alibaba, and slides it in for $40. He's my Hero. Not sure I would trust it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4GJRj ... =JCarapiet

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:52 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 pm
Squib sensor. My life for a squib sensor! This video shows exactly why these fail. $15 part but it's a critical one.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the squibs are part of the airbag. The problem is loss of continuity through the ribbon cable. You probably noticed that the crack started on one side and migrated across. That's very typical, and it's why the functions almost always fail one or two at a time and not all at once. You can actually buy that type of ribbon from outfits like Mouser and Digi-Key if you want to go through the effort of desoldering and rebuilding one.
TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 pm
Dude buys one from Alibaba, and slides it in for $40. He's my Hero. Not sure I would trust it.
I actually have several customers running around with China-cheap clocksprings on various models and none of them have had any problems (other than identifying and purchasing the right clockspring, that's a different matter entirely).

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 am

Great to know about the success rate.

For the ribbon: this sure looks like our wire, soldered/connected/everything? I trunked the link.
A bit of patience to replace, but it's the correct 8 pin and 4 pin..$11??? Down to the same colour conectors, etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com
(search "Replace Wire 25567-ET025, or 25567-5X00A")

In my case (or a customer that may want to retain factory heated wheel), there are very few clock springs (after market) that has the heated wheel adapter/cable ring... :cry:

For this purpose, you would probably need to directly replace the cable ribbon, or spend real money...

Return to “R51 Electrical”