Pics of R51 WITH 265/65/18 and 275/65/18 tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Pics of R51 WITH 265/65/18 and 275/65/18 tires

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:00 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:33 pm
Thanks for the feedback!
No problem.

To put it more succinctly; on paper they were perfect; but they had some (albeit manageable) quality control issues.
I may have to buy them again given that there are so few AT tires in this exact size and only one (this one ) that is H rated.
But I will be very careful during the buying process and insist all 4 pass roadforce before I accept delivery.

The Coopers AT 3S (which I have on my Xterra and like a lot it has the 3 MPSF symbol like the Yokohama Geolandar 015)
now do come in this slightly oversize ( which I think is prefect for us) but they are not H rated...
https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires ... rer-at3-4s

Hankook Dynapro Xterme also recently came out with this size, btu also not H rated. still worth looking at:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... &tab=Specs

I did basically destroy a brand new set of Dynapro ATMs (on my Xterra in an Xterra PRO4X size) in 2 years of german hiway driving.
The tread still looked good but after 2 yrs the tire was disintegrating internally.

I was driving below its speed rating of 112 mph (or 117 mph I dont recall) but the frequent forays to 90mph and above and staying there for extended period did the tires in.
Even though I drove below the speed rating AT tires arent really made for that.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:27 pm

The trouble for me is to NOT accept Michelins when it comes to tires.

I've been driving Kumho's Krugen All Weather for the past 30k, and as soon I've placed my Michelin winters on, it's not even close. It bothers me, that the Michelins are this smooth and compliant.

Prior, with my Yokohama's G015- which went bad in 2 years of driving - seem very strong footed.
Very poised tire, and excellent in the snow.
I had a couple of mechanical things that affected those tires (bad shock, bad alignment, and bad timing!)

I just wonder, now, with your issues, that these tires are not a good fit for this vehicle?
What are the odds of failed Yoko's on two different R51 - I had gone with the expanded 265/75/16 with my Yoko's, as well. Hmmm.
Weird.

Vredestein Pinza AT tires are all the rage currently, review very well, but are not available up here as yet.
You may be more aware of this brand.

A new set of tires will ring up close to $1300 CAD now, and it's no laughing matter to get the most out of tires.

I am hunting for some 18" rims such as yours! I think they are the best rims for the R51.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:54 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:27 pm
The trouble for me is to NOT accept Michelins when it comes to tires.

I've been driving Kumho's Krugen All Weather for the past 30k, and as soon I've placed my Michelin winters on, it's not even close. It bothers me, that the Michelins are this smooth and compliant.

Prior, with my Yokohama's G015- which went bad in 2 years of driving - seem very strong footed.
Very poised tire, and excellent in the snow.
I had a couple of mechanical things that affected those tires (bad shock, bad alignment, and bad timing!)

I just wonder, now, with your issues, that these tires are not a good fit for this vehicle?
What are the odds of failed Yoko's on two different R51 - I had gone with the expanded 265/75/16 with my Yoko's, as well. Hmmm.
Weird.

Vredestein Pinza AT tires are all the rage currently, review very well, but are not available up here as yet.
You may be more aware of this brand.

A new set of tires will ring up close to $1300 CAD now, and it's no laughing matter to get the most out of tires.

I am hunting for some 18" rims such as yours! I think they are the best rims for the R51.
Well to be fair they did not really fail... when installed they would not pas road force ( all 5 including tires including the on the spare when anotehr shop checked the 1ast shops work..)
but not everyone knows how ot roadforce tires properly..

and the wheels where in poor shape.
When I had them remounted on replacement wheels ( OEm only one out of 4 was noticeably out of spec in roadforce, not counting the spare which was never remounted..)
So I might still buy them again.. or I might not..

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:43 pm

I have a set of LT285/65/R18 of those Geolanders on my pathfinder now. VS the stop size tires on 16 in rims, the geolanders are a little less compliant on bumps on the road. but otherwise handle quite well in their current newish condition (on a few ks). They are on aftermarket rims with a lift and some trimming so cant say this size would fit. I think they have a non LT version as well which i think has less stiff sidewalls.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 - #110101648

All Terrain Truck SUV
Size: LT285/65R18
Load/Speed Rating #: 125/S
Item #: 110101648
Quantity: 5

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:27 pm

I have to admit, Miles5.6 (where ever he may be), I like the look of his Pirellis. With the white letter outline and the mini Scorpion.

Lot's to think about. Tire prices are a bit whack right now, and while I'd love to get into an AT tire, I might run out my Michelin winters with the oncoming season to give me more time to think!

One thing I noticed over the past 10 years is the improvement in Pirelli tires. It's a brand that everyone seems to think twice about, and the reviews on them, generally show that people are surprised on how good they are.

When I had my Saabs, in the early 2000'a, the Pirellis on them were horrible. The general reviews on them were terrible as well. Pirelli were hell bent on making racing and summer tires, that they could not map over a proper tire for this market for all year use. I would install Continental Contacts on my Saab, they were fantastic - while they lasted. They really wore down quickly.

So on my second Saab, around 2011, I noticed that Tire Rack reviews on Pirellis were outstanding. What? They actually had the top rated all season tire for a while. It was a market shock to a normal reviewer...

Pirelli had come out with a completely new compound - the "Plus" tires - were the compound to distinguish them from older versions. I went to my tire guy, (he never heard of them, and rarely sold Pirellis) and to order the "4 Plus" tires. We had them shipped in from Quebec, as no one else in Canada had them, at the time.

The newer Pirellis, I would simply be astounded on how much better they were than the Continentals. Tire Rack reviews, then, seemed to justify the improvements in their technology. I was so impressed by the new Pirelli's, I bought a set for my brother's car, at the time, without one hesitation. To this point, they are the best tires I have ever driven on, on any vehicle...and my brother vouches it too on his car.

I don't see too many Pirelli's on these trucks, but I'd wish there were more folks on the Frontier and Xterra forums that have them, to give some insight.

There are a ton of good tires out there. Cooper, Falken, General, Yokohama, and Pirelli make the decisions really hard.

I grew up in a world that was Michelin, and everyone else. It probably still is.

Decisions decisions.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:54 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:27 pm
I have to admit, Miles5.6 (where ever he may be), I like the look of his Pirellis. With the white letter outline and the mini Scorpion.

Lot's to think about. Tire prices are a bit whack right now, and while I'd love to get into an AT tire, I might run out my Michelin winters with the oncoming season to give me more time to think!

One thing I noticed over the past 10 years is the improvement in Pirelli tires. It's a brand that everyone seems to think twice about, and the reviews on them, generally show that people are surprised on how good they are.

When I had my Saabs, in the early 2000'a, the Pirellis on them were horrible. The general reviews on them were terrible as well. Pirelli were hell bent on making racing and summer tires, that they could not map over a proper tire for this market for all year use. I would install Continental Contacts on my Saab, they were fantastic - while they lasted. They really wore down quickly.

So on my second Saab, around 2011, I noticed that Tire Rack reviews on Pirellis were outstanding. What? They actually had the top rated all season tire for a while. It was a market shock to a normal reviewer...

Pirelli had come out with a completely new compound - the "Plus" tires - were the compound to distinguish them from older versions. I went to my tire guy, (he never heard of them, and rarely sold Pirellis) and to order the "4 Plus" tires. We had them shipped in from Quebec, as no one else in Canada had them, at the time.

The newer Pirellis, I would simply be astounded on how much better they were than the Continentals. Tire Rack reviews, then, seemed to justify the improvements in their technology. I was so impressed by the new Pirelli's, I bought a set for my brother's car, at the time, without one hesitation. To this point, they are the best tires I have ever driven on, on any vehicle...and my brother vouches it too on his car.

I don't see too many Pirelli's on these trucks, but I'd wish there were more folks on the Frontier and Xterra forums that have them, to give some insight.

There are a ton of good tires out there. Cooper, Falken, General, Yokohama, and Pirelli make the decisions really hard.

I grew up in a world that was Michelin, and everyone else. It probably still is.

Decisions decisions.

TMC;

its good to hear that the tirerack reviews seem to be borne out by reality. :D
I was always skeptical because they were user reviews and human nature always wants to justify an expense to make us feel good about our decisions.
No one, including myself, is immune from this.

Also often the new tires are invariably compared to the old tires in worn condition.

So I generally view the "my new tires are great" reviews on such sites with a grain of salt.

So I am happy to hear that the tire rack reviews ( and discount tire revies etc etc) seem to be borne out, by at least some, reality on the ground. 8)

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”