07 Pathfinder tranny issue - reverse

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cdretc

07 Pathfinder tranny issue - reverse

Postby cdretc » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:21 pm

My Pathy may be dying :| When I put in reverse, she moves backwards for a sec or so and then just goes nowhere. I can back out by doing this a few times. Clutch pack or solenoid? How can I tell? Any advise on how to troubleshoot. There are no tranny codes. Forwards seem to be OK for now. It seems that the solenoid is not too hard to replace, but I would think that the clutch pack would require removal of the tranny. Any ideas/suggestions?

VStar650CL

Re: 07 Pathfinder tranny issue - reverse

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 pm

There's no good way to tell if the problem is the High/Reverse Clutch or if the shuttle valve controlled by the clutch solenoid is stuck. If you don't have codes then it's unlikely the solenoid is the issue, the TCM will generally detect and throw a code for anything electrical. Mechanically, since the default position for both the shuttle and the clutch is "disengaged", there's no good way to separate them diagnostically. However, if your fluid isn't crappy then chances are the H/R clutch is worn out. Shuttle valves don't stick very easily unless the fluid has turned to ATF chowder.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:34 pm

PS- On an '07, if you haven't bypassed it or replaced the radiator, break out your 10mm and check the fluid condition immediately. The '06~'07's were among the worst years for SMOD, and that's only recoverable if you catch it before the fluid becomes opaque.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:50 pm

1. you didn't state where you are. Is it very cold where you are?
2. Do you park on an uphill/downhill, generally?
3.If you are on level ground, and this occurs?
4. Also - what does the gear selector show when you place it in R. Does it show R.

I have this small issue that crops up when I park on a downhill in very cold weather. The tension on the pawl doesn't let the truck "go". I shift it into D, then into R, then into D and off I go. I keep forgetting to place my ebrake on, and this happens.

Perhaps do what you do normally, but engage the parking brake. Then start the truck and see if the problem lessens.

It's a shot in the dark, but I thought it's an easy try.

cdretc

Postby cdretc » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 am

Thanks for your replies. The tranny fluid is clear.

I am in Canada and it is cold :( . My driveway is sloped and I park up/downhill depending on the day. On level ground, I seem to have some reverse left and I can crawl into parking spots. The gear selector shows R.

I am also suspecting the H/R clutch, but I don't have any slippage at high speed only in reverse. Does that still make sense?

Sorry for the slow reply...I didn't get notified that there were answers.

Thanks for the idea for putting truck into D-R-D, but I don't seem to have any problem driving forwards...

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:04 am

The default position (H/R disengaged) is H, so a failed clutch won't affect operation in High in the slightest. The clutch only needs to grab in R.

cdretc

Postby cdretc » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:40 pm

Makes sense. Thanks Vstar.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”