Tires - an unfair and biased evaluation

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Re: Tires - an unfair and biased evaluation

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:00 pm

I have yet to post on the Michelins! And here we go baby...

What very evident to me - the depth of the sipes on Michelins.
From what I saw, if this is a truck tire, it's should last the longest, and have the best overall performance and investment. And I could be wrong, but I "believe" Michelins are the only winter tire that has a treadwear warranty.
I think the fact that the tread blocks and sipes slit to almost the belt line, Michelin is perhaps testing the theory that their tires, overall will last the longest. No one else has all sipes to the belt line of the tire.
It's not an aggressive tire, like a true AT perhaps, so this tire would not be for that purpose.

Overall, I found it very revealing that for a truck tire, this was the manufacturer whose treads and the sipes seems to go the deepest, with consistency. I didn't take pictures of the insides of these tires. It's interesting how the manufacturers are designing them.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:14 pm

Michelix Cross Climate 2
Perhaps the weirdest tire out there, but the evidence seems to be out there, that this is tire that can excel the best as an all weather tire. I certainly don't like the tread on it.
Weird and simple pattern. Almost to the point where Michelin is saying everyone doesn't know what they are talking about, and this is the way you should do it. Woop Woop.

I'm not sure how this tire would perform on gravel, for example. Can't see it being suited for off road but it's 3PMS rated. By the way it's all explained, it's engineered as a cross, and it's hits the marks in the development.

Love this dude's channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2odY3 ... gExplained

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:24 pm

This was the tire, that I set out to purchase when I got the idea to buy the 18" rims. Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus.
I like the tire based on reviews. I don't like the tire on what I saw, versus others.
I have to circle around back to it - Pirelli is developing really good tires nowadays, and I'm confident that this is a good AT tire, but I'm not convinced it's quiet on the road. Now, I think with the 18s that I may not want or really need a strict AT. I'm not lifting this vehicle.

One thing I noticed on this tire - the side wall. For whatever reason, the side wall on this tire was much more collapsible that the other ATs. I guess I would say you could squeeze the tire at the sidewall "in". more than most of the ATs. Does this give you a better / quieter ride - better or worse bump absoption?

I wouldn't feel comfortable deflating these for off-roading versus, let's say the Duratrac.
It seems this is an AT that wants to stay on the road, but wants to have some fun, with full air in it.
Perhaps someone with more experience would highlight why this is. It's a noticeable more flexible sidewall.

Michelin, it feels like you need both shoulders to squeeze in the side walls, the Pirelli, I could do it with wrists/hands.

It has some interesting ofset inside of the tread blocks. Not sure what they do

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:35 pm

Is this the All Star?
The new kid on the block?
I certainly liked what I saw from the new Falken AT Trail I was fortunate they had this. I haven't even heard it mentioned on many forums, but it's hitting the high notes on Tire Rack reviews. Seems that Falken might be taking on the big boys in that hybrid AT market. I think they may be onto something.

Blocky tread like an AT. good for gravel, dirt, etc.
Nice deep grooves for all weather and strong side walls.
Sipes for slush and winter
Almost tried to do go the all-season tire pattern route, but then didn't go too far.

I liked this tire the most from a viewing standpoint.
It's looks like it has well rounded abilities, with a hint of reduced AT requirements (not too blocky deep treads like a true AT)

The Falken WPAT3 seems like a good tire from many reviews. This new AT Trail tire, looks like a little brother to that tire, with perhaps on-road manners to take on the market in that segment.

For everyone's comments.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:54 am

-The falken Wildpeak aT trail reminds me a lot form tis tread of my hankook dynapro ATM set.
-Was the Michelin AT (not the cross climate) the defender an LT tire?
I saw LT as part of the name but not as standalone letters so not sure...
- the Crossclimate has rave reviews as being suitable in the north as a year around tire being nearly as good as winter tires in the snow.

Thank you so much for doing this!
This is really interesting service to the board.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:53 pm

I must say, as a snow storm has hit southern Ontario, I savour that I have my Michelin winters on it.
Obvious that if you go crazy, you will break traction, but, it's just the way to go on days like this.

I've never driven on Falkens, or Duratrac, or K02's. It's a better compare, if I've had experience with these AT types in winter.

Jeeps/Wrangler are absolutely common place here. I've never seen one struggle in the winter, and in fact, I've been absolutely impressed by it's stability on ATs in inclement weather.

And I think this is where it slices up.
We are already ahead of the game having a capable vehicle.
It's SUV backside, affords better weight distribution than a pickup truck.

The two sets of tires that I would have liked to review - Continentals and the AS Pirelli's - I could notfind on a shelf.

Mind you Pirelli has just come out with yet another interesting tire to give me another option: WeatherActive.

521ton

Postby 521ton » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:55 pm

I've ran the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (265/75-16) on my '06 Pathfinder and had a hard time breaking them loose. Grip great on dry and excellent on wet pavement and handle well on snow.
Now, I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's (275/65-18) on my current '08 V8 Pathy. I can break these loose easier, but it is a V8 vs the V6, so apples to oranges there. Grip doesn't feel as good on wet pavement as the Falken's... but again, V8 vs V6.
Both are 3PMSF rated, and I have no complaints on either one in the snow.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”