Aftermarket rear view camera?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Aftermarket rear view camera?

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:41 pm

Just curious, has anyone added a rear view camera with something unobtrusive, and non-obvious like a license plate bracket? My head unit's bluetooth transmitter is starting to flake after 12 years of service so I might take the opportunity to get a fancy Pioneer unit with all the Apple Carplay fixings, and I'm curious about making this work.

I picked up one of these from eBay, but I haven't had the time yet to see if it drops down low enough to get below the center chrome trim piece:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183523158210

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Aftermarket rear view camera?

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 pm

My rear camera also intermittedly fails.
Is this normal at 14 years of age?

Could it be fixed or o we need to replace?
I'd like to keep things looking stock..

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:25 pm

Cams do die of old age, especially in warm climates. It's the size and power factor, CCD's are power-suckers and you simply can't pack much heat-sinking into a 1" square package. Nissan does a good job making them as reliable as possible within the design constraints, but there's only so much you can do.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:14 am

I was just thinking about this, this past week.

Although, my factory one still works fine. I was thinking about adding a multiplexor so I can have 5 cameras up on a single screen or two on my dashboard so if I'm offroading...I have visuals on all 4 sides and the 5th one being at the front on the front grill angled down to see obstacles and overhangs directly in front of the vehicle like some of the new vehicles do. I wonder if we can just cut off the pigtail of the factory camera though and install a new aftermarket one in its place as long as the specs are the same.

https://thinkwarestore.com/product/multiplexer-box-us/

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 am

So what is likely wrong with mine with the intermittent failure?
Can it be likely repaired?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:11 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 am
If it's blacking-out then it's possible it's a wiring issue. If it's bluing-out or you're getting weird lines then chances are the cam is shot. If it's not coming on when you shift to reverse then it's most likely a problem with the backup lamp circuit.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:45 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:11 am
palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 am
If it's blacking-out then it's possible it's a wiring issue. If it's bluing-out or you're getting weird lines then chances are the cam is shot. If it's not coming on when you shift to reverse then it's most likely a problem with the backup lamp circuit.
About one in ten times I use it I get either
a) black out
or one in 20 times
b) weird lines

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:10 pm

It's remotely possible that it's wiring, but weird lines mean a dying CCD in the cam about 98% of the time.

R51Red

Postby R51Red » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:10 am

I added one like this https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Rever ... =8-15&th=1, in conjunction with a Pioneer head unit, about 2 years ago. I'm fairly happy with it. The implementation is not as slick as what you have on a modern car where the backup cam is more integrated (like the proximity alarm, etc), but it's better than having no cam at all.

I come from the past, so I still primarily look over my shoulder when I am backing up, but I do glance at it sometimes. What it is best for is when you are trying to back up to a trailer and you don't have a spotter to talk you in.

It was kind of a pain to run the wire through the hatch and the rest of the car, but I ended up with a good installation. I hope it never quits, because I don't feel like doing that job again.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:48 pm

R51Red wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:10 am
I added one like this https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Rever ... =8-15&th=1, in conjunction with a Pioneer head unit, about 2 years ago. I'm fairly happy with it. The implementation is not as slick as what you have on a modern car where the backup cam is more integrated (like the proximity alarm, etc), but it's better than having no cam at all.

I come from the past, so I still primarily look over my shoulder when I am backing up, but I do glance at it sometimes. What it is best for is when you are trying to back up to a trailer and you don't have a spotter to talk you in.

It was kind of a pain to run the wire through the hatch and the rest of the car, but I ended up with a good installation. I hope it never quits, because I don't feel like doing that job again.
Great first post!

Welcome to TheNissanpath!!! :D

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:25 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Could it be fixed or do we need to replace?
I'd like to keep things looking stock..
Fyi rockauto carry Dorman replacement cameras that look like they plug and play direct replacement (2012 V6 is a Dorman 590694).
My camera was showing an upside down image in the screen for a while... But it seems to have worked out whatever issues it had and is back to normal so I have not replaced it yet.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:46 pm

I know this is an old Post but, I wanted to add this for those searching.

I purchased this kit here, from Amazon.

The camera mount fit snuggly between the frame and the 7 plug adapter for the tow hitch. Now all you see is the wee camera pointing out the back. It works pretty well in most conditions. Of course, it falls on it's face in the rain and when it get's dirty but, I like to have it simply for depth. I can backup no problem over my shoulder but, this is great for lining up the trailer and for parking close to walls and shrubs. Pretty easy to install.

Ended up mounting the screen just ahead of the speaker on the dash. I don't even notice it anymore.

Return to “R51 Electrical”