Pre-lift advice please

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Spatula

Pre-lift advice please

Postby Spatula » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:59 am

I am planning on a little lift this year, and need some advice. As much as I would love to roll with a 7" lift, I think that I'll go with the SF Creation 1.5"Fr- 1"Rr kit (https://sfcreation.com/product/1-5-1-ki ... 1rr-05-12/). I am currently running on 285/75R16 BFG KO2s, and could honestly use a little extra clearance between rubber and mudflaps, especially when they fill up with snow and slush in the winter. I also want to still fit through the garage door lol.

I have owned her for 3 great years, and other than a new tie rod and steering alignments I've never touched the suspension. She h is a 2012 SV with 167,000km (approx 100k miles) and as far as I know she's all stock, plus air bags in the back. My mechanic informed me that the rear right UCA is seized and will have to be cut off, but he was able to get the alignment 'close enough.' He quoted me $3200CDN (approx $2400USD) to replace all upper and lower rear control arms.

That aside (I will be getting several more quotes before proceeding), if I'm planning a lift, are there specific parts that should be replaced at the same time to help with the alignment? I've tried searching and reading, and there are so many threads about lifts and alignment that it's a bit overwhelming and difficult to sift through. My mechanical knowledge/experience is limited to changing fluids & tires.

I have several newby questions:
1. Has anyone installed this kit and do they recommend it?
2. Are there specific camber bolts, bushings or aftermarket Upper Control Arms that I should get? I saw that TooMuchControl recommended new sway bar bushings prior to any lift?
3. I have to ask, why is the front lift (1.5") more than the rear (1") in this kit?
4. And would the SFCreations lift affect the air bags at all?

Sorry for long post.
Thanks in advance,

Code Pathfinder

Re: Pre-lift advice please

Postby Code Pathfinder » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm

Happy to help you with your lift journey! I kind of pioneered the lift trend with my setup (see linked posts below)

My 7-inch lift installation on my 09 R51 Pathfinder

post99496.html#p99496

Build Guide on my 7-inch lift

coming-soon-front-drop-bracket-kit-inst ... 20627.html

Throwing on 35s:

post100618.html#p100618

Regearing to 3.69 Ratio

topic21023.html

To sum most of this up to help you in your journey:

1. My setup is very extreme but I want to provide you with as much insight as possible when you dig into projects like this.

2. Obviously, you are running a smaller lift kit which is fewer variables but there are some things to be wary of.

3. I would recommend looking at replacing other components of your suspension as well such as Tie Rods, Struts, Shocks, etc. Starting fresh with a brand-new lift with new components is always a good route to take in my book. This holds true if your vehicle is in a rusty/rust-prone region of the USA or the World.

4. Look at regearing your Pathfinder at some point with the 33s. I regeared to 35s on 3.69 gearings and it's still sluggish at times. 3.69 would actually be perfect for your 33s.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Has anyone installed this kit and do they recommend it?

I have not installed this specific lift kit before but from what I have heard, they are a good company that makes good products for lift kits on the smaller end in terms of gain (1.5-3 inch lift kits)

2. Are there specific camber bolts, bushings or aftermarket Upper Control Arms that I should get? I saw that TooMuchControl recommended new sway bar bushings prior to any lift?

I personally recommend going OEM Nissan for Camber (Front & Rear Lower Control Arms) & Toe Bolts (Rear Coil buckets). Yes, they are expensive but they are worth every penny. I rarely hear of OEM Camber Bolts & Toe Bolts shearing or breaking off unless they are seized or rusted.

For upper control arms, I would recommend SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms for maximum alignment capabilities. Not only do these arms help with getting camber back into spec, but they also help get caster back into spec as well.

If you have some spare dough left over in your lift budget, I would swap out the sway bar bushings for polyurethane ones or Delrin ones. SuperPro suspension has polyurethane ones and PRG Products has a Billet aluminum sway bar bracket kit along with new bushings as well.

3. I have to ask, why is the front lift (1.5") more than the rear (1") in this kit?

Typically there is an offset in the lift when a part of the vehicle is either higher or lower in the front or rear. I would assume that SFC's R&D team built their lift kit to accommodate the change in ride height so both the front and rear suspension sit even.

Another possible reason is due to the lack of alignment adjustability when you are lifting the rear suspension. Since our suspension is fully independent front and rear, we have limits when it comes to lifting our vehicles. The rear especially. Read this thread for a more detailed explanation (with solutions to the problem as well):

the-ever-popular-rear-alignment-issue-t14492.html

4. And would the SFCreations lift affect the air bags at all?

They should not affect the air bags as far as I am aware of. I ran coil spring spacers from Rancho back in the day and also had Air Bags from Air Lift.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 pm

Thanks! I will have to read through those posts, I have lots to learn!

Are there SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms for both front and rear?

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:12 pm

I am not an old hat when it comes to lifts, but here are my two cents (and some change).

Sometimes spacer lifts can cause the ride to become rather uncomfortable. This is because your shocks are not lengthened by the spacer lift. While I do not think that this should have much effect in the front since they are coilovers, the rears are not. So, whatever you put in the rear will likely shorten the suspension travel. Additionally, at 100k miles the rear springs may be worn out. Mine where totally shot at 125k, but YMMV.

Second, the cost of upper control arms is not cheap (they are like 600-700$ for those SPC ones). Add in tie rods and lower control arms and some new bushings and your looking at a solid bill. And thats if you do it yourself. If you pay someone its plenty more. And don't forget you will need an alignment and if you don't already have them camber bolts and they may charge you extra because you put all kinds of new components on it.

Personally, I would only consider a spacer lift if I could pop them in, do an alignment, and then just let it ride.

Lastly, if you are going to replace the springs and shocks then I would put a proper suspension lift in. Why go for all that cost only to have the stock components (or cheap aftermarket crap like monroe). the rear springs on the pathfinder are very weak.

Your vehicle your money but it would suck to invest a few grand into a spacer lift and not be happy with it when the alternative is an actual suspension lift.

Here is a thread with my build which i am partial to. I might have gotten the spacer and upper control arms if i was feeling a little more wealth at the time).
topic21335.html

521ton

Postby 521ton » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:59 pm

I have a 2008 LE with the 5.6. I used the Bilstein 2" front struts for a Frontier, and installed new V8 coils on them. I also had to replace the lower control arms, so while that was being done, I had SPC lower Cam bolts installed. I used a 1-3/4" Rancho spacer in the rear with new coils as well. I had one tire shop align it, but it never felt right. Took it to an off-road shop and they told me it was impossible for the previous shop to 4 wheel align it, because the rear cam bolts are seized. So I just ordered a complete OEM suspension replacement kit through Z1 Off-road today. I'll attach the link, it's US$1,045. https://www.z1offroad.com/service-kits/ ... 008017a1a4
Right now I'm running factory 18's with 275/65-18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's..
After the rear suspension parts get replaced, I'll add the 2" spacer IRS lift, and install the Frontier 6" from Rough Country on the front. I've heard mixed reviews on the RC lift, but Fabtech no longer makes anything, and I've read that Calmini seems to have an issue getting parts sent out.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am

521ton wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:59 pm
I have a 2008 LE with the 5.6. I used the Bilstein 2" front struts for a Frontier, and installed new V8 coils on them. I also had to replace the lower control arms, so while that was being done, I had SPC lower Cam bolts installed. I used a 1-3/4" Rancho spacer in the rear with new coils as well. I had one tire shop align it, but it never felt right. Took it to an off-road shop and they told me it was impossible for the previous shop to 4 wheel align it, because the rear cam bolts are seized. So I just ordered a complete OEM suspension replacement kit through Z1 Off-road today. I'll attach the link, it's US$1,045. https://www.z1offroad.com/service-kits/ ... 008017a1a4
Right now I'm running factory 18's with 275/65-18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's..
After the rear suspension parts get replaced, I'll add the 2" spacer IRS lift, and install the Frontier 6" from Rough Country on the front. I've heard mixed reviews on the RC lift, but Fabtech no longer makes anything, and I've read that Calmini seems to have an issue getting parts sent out.
Welcome to TheNIssanPath!
Great first post! :D

521ton

Postby 521ton » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:07 pm

521ton wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:59 pm
Just a follow up. I did get all of the new rear suspension installed, and still have a slight alignment issue. I didn't do my research completely... Everything is all within spec, except for the toe is still out slightly. From what I've read, I will need to get offset rear upper bushings, and that should help with the toe and camber. From how I've read it (and I could be wrong), you can have the camber correct and the toe out, or the toe correct and the camber out without replacing the bushings to these. https://www.4x4parts.com/i-22756999-rea ... hings.html

And... while being thoroughly inspected while at the shop... Upper and lower radiator tanks seals were shot (new radiator installed). Oil cooler gasket leaking (gasket replaced). Hitch was rusted out on the ends (new hitch installed). IRS subframe bolt was loose on one side and just spun, fortunately it was a front one and not too bad to fix. And... the A/C condenser has a couple of pinholes in it, that'll be fixed in a couple of weeks.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:53 pm

The adjustable bushings or the CJD Racing gussets should work.

4x4parts recently screwed me on a large purchase so I won't be recommending them to anyone anymore though.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”