Z1 upgraded ignition coils

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Z1 upgraded ignition coils

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:49 pm

Not a long post here - I installed these, and yes, you want them :-D

https://www.z1offroad.com/z1-products/z ... 21759.html

At 211K miles, my truck is idling a little rougher than usual. And I had two coils fail last year (aged out...truck started misfiring). With a combination of four very old OEM ones and two new Autozone ones, I figured I would just give these a shot rather than wait for the next one to fail, as I comb over my truck for aging parts and coat the rest with POR-15.

Very, very happy with the results. Idle is smooth again, all RPMs are smoother really...truck pulls a bit harder across the RPM range, and mpg report on the odometer "seems better" on a quick loop around San Diego. The odds of me putting a 17 year old truck on a dyno for before and after results looking for 5 hp over 265 at peak is right up there with the odds of ice existing on the surface of the sun, but it does seem to add some oomph I felt like the truck was missing the last few years. Lots more pop on the entrance ramp.

FWIW I already have an intake spacer. A lot of people on other forums have paired this with an intake spacer mod (Z1 sells one that looks fairly identical to XTP's) and report they are happy with the results.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Z1 upgraded ignition coils

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am

Z1 certainly has an excellent reputation in our world.
A mod to consider that's for sure.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:44 pm

I went with the Audio R8 coil packs route. Waiting for a good day to do that. Aiming this coming Saturday.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:48 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:44 pm
I went with the Audio R8 coil packs route. Waiting for a good day to do that. Aiming this coming Saturday.
Please let us know how it goes! :)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:17 am

So the Audi R8 coil packs went in easy and great. It does take a little longer to start than normal(takes a second or two of cranking before it starts as oppose to starting up right away with the factory coil packs). Car drives and idle smooth. I'll drive it for a while like this and see how I like it. I may revert back to factory or Z1 if these Audi R8 coil packs don't work out the way I'd like them to.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:56 am

This post was supposed to be on a different thread, sorry folks, i have moved it... these Z1 coils are on my short list though. Anyone know who manufactures these or have any information with regard quality?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:48 am

silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:17 am
So the Audi R8 coil packs went in easy and great. It does take a little longer to start than normal(takes a second or two of cranking before it starts as oppose to starting up right away with the factory coil packs). Car drives and idle smooth. I'll drive it for a while like this and see how I like it. I may revert back to factory or Z1 if these Audi R8 coil packs don't work out the way I'd like them to.
Pleaee let us know. The slowe start seems odd to me. But if it idles smoother...
Have u noticed any improvement in throttle response?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:49 am

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:56 am
This post was supposed to be on a different thread, sorry folks, i have moved it... these Z1 coils are on my short list though. Anyone know who manufactures these or have any information with regard quality?
I know nohting except Z1 is genrally considered good.
Hopefulyl Silverarrow gives us an update. :P

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:56 pm

My Z1 coils are great. I was replacing four old, two new standard coils and could tell a slight difference. Smoother, little more pick up, etc. Probably do put out more power as advertised.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:50 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:48 am
silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:17 am
Pleaee let us know. The slowe start seems odd to me. But if it idles smoother...
Have u noticed any improvement in throttle response?
After driving it around some. Can't tell a difference from stock to be honest. I know the Audi R8 coilpack conversion has been dyno tested to improve a small amount of power. However, my butt dyno isn't as accurate as it use to be. The longer or double cranking has started to annoy me and I may go back to factory or Z1 coil packs. Supposedly the longer cranking or double cranking on the Audi R8s is "normal".

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:29 am

Z1 has the coil pack on same for 280$. (no affiliation). I am tempted. I paid like 150$ for one OEM coil a while back from the dealer ship.... Do i buy these or do i buy another vehicle (you know to have a spare for when one is broken...). Choices choices.

https://www.z1offroad.com/z1-products/z ... 350ac25958

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”