Loss of heat stopped at idle.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Loss of heat stopped at idle.

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:48 am

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:28 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a small leak in the system. Also i did notice a whirring noise that i thought was the fan wearing when the coolant was low. I haven't noticed it since i topped it up. I also did the heating things to get it up to temp as best i could. Its hard to get my system above 170 with the cold (for here whether around mid 30s).

I still suspect a stuck thermostat and will look into it in the future, but for now still going and heats working.

Thanks
Crow
Crow how did u make out in the end?

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am

Honestly, I think there was just some air stuck in there. There could be a leak, but it has to be so small as to be irrelevant. The thermostat might be opening a few degrees early (5-10) (based on spec) but its not enough for me to want to address it now. Maybe next time I feel like flushing the radiator fluid.

I parked it on a slight uphill (my driveway is sloped) and refilled the radiator directly and the expansion tank. I think I ended up adding about half a gallon. Since then, I have not seen any sign that the level has changed and we took it on a road trip. We drove up to Tahoe for so fun in the snow with the little ones about a month ago. No issues, no problems.

Just did an the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, and rotation of the tires (5 tire pattern) change last weekend and checked the fluids (no change).

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:08 am

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am
Honestly, I think there was just some air stuck in there. There could be a leak, but it has to be so small as to be irrelevant. The thermostat might be opening a few degrees early (5-10) (based on spec) but its not enough for me to want to address it now. Maybe next time I feel like flushing the radiator fluid.

I parked it on a slight uphill (my driveway is sloped) and refilled the radiator directly and the expansion tank. I think I ended up adding about half a gallon. Since then, I have not seen any sign that the level has changed and we took it on a road trip. We drove up to Tahoe for so fun in the snow with the little ones about a month ago. No issues, no problems.

Just did an the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, and rotation of the tires (5 tire pattern) change last weekend and checked the fluids (no change).
Really wish I had done the 5 tire rotations from the beginning.
Now its been 24,000 miles or so and I worry if I start now I might intorduce some differences

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:46 pm

i think its too late. the difference in tread is likely too large. but if you have a tire go bad you can buy just one and have another new one to rotate in with it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”