Rear Bump Stop Options?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Neeginan

Rear Bump Stop Options?

Postby Neeginan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:16 pm

Rear Bump Stop.jpg
Anyone look at replacing the rear bump stop with something like a SumoSpring bump stop replacement from a 4Runner? I know a lot of people use air bags, but I wanted to explore other options. Seems like a SumoSpring like the SSF-604-40 could replace the rear factory bump stop on an R51. Provide moderate additional load support to reduce sag with a trailer or load, but since SumoSprings are progressive shouldn't affect ride much.

The SSF-604-40 is a front bump stop replacement for a 5th Gen 4Runner but seems like it might just bolt right on our rig. Things is I can't figure out the dimensions. Says 11 x 8 x 5 inches. But it doesn't show which dimension is which? Seems like there should only be length and width.

I measure the open space distance for where the bumpstop would go and it is about 4.25-4.5 inches.

Thoughts? Am I nuts?

Rear Bump Stop.jpg
Attachments
Sumo Spring.png
Sumo Spring.png (103.42 KiB) Viewed 2783 times

Neeginan

Re: Rear Bump Stop Options?

Postby Neeginan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:22 pm

So I think this would be the kit that would work. It is 5 in long and 4 in diameter. I measured, there is space. This kit is a 'builders kit'. I would have to procure the mounting bolts/hardware. I would probably need to trim one of the 5 'bumps' off if I didn't want it pre-loaded. Trimming one bump off, it would be 4 in long and would almost touch the bump stop touch point on the frame.

If anyone has any experience with these Sumo springs on your Pathfinder or other vehicle, please let me know. Seems like a good zero maintenance option for the rear to beef it up a bit and reduce some sag on higher loads.
Sumo SFR 100 40.jpg

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:56 pm

So I pulled the wheel off today, and removed the factory bump stop. 13mm deep socket, no problem.

I measured the flat space on the control arm and there is a 3 in diameter area to work with. The landing spot for the bump stop on the frame is a bit larger, it is rectangularish and is about 3 1/2 by 3 3/4 in.
IMPORTANT - These control arms may not be nissan factory. I had replaced them a few years back due to the bushings being rusted/frozen. I think they are nissan or dorman, but not 100% sure. If you are considering this, look at the pics of mine, and look at yours. If yours are different, do what I did. Remove your bump stop and measure what you have to work with!

Then I found this option. SumoSprings SSF-106-40. 500 lb rating (rated per axle) at 50% compression. I think that is a good option to firm the rear up a bit when under load like when my travel trailer is hitched up. But should not make the right harsh since it is the softest of sumosprings. And the size appears to be right at 3 inch diameter, 4 inches tall. I have about 1 3/4 inches of lift in the rear and there was about 4 1/2 inches to work with - rough measurement unloaded between the control arm and the frame where the bump stop lands.

Tell me, anything I am missing as to why this won't work? Any reason this is a really bad idea? Wouldn't be my first - LOL.

20220731_184520.jpg
20220731_184518.jpg
20220731_184445.jpg
20220731_184346.jpg
20220731_190737.jpg
20220731_190750.jpg
20220731_190948.jpg

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 am

Update - does not fit.

Due to the angles and articulation of the control arm, the sumospring would only be about 50% on the actual vehicle frame on compression. There is an option to drill holes in the control arm and mount the sumospring further inbound, but I didn't want to go that route. I don't know if it will weaken the arm, and there would be a load on the sumosprings. So I am pulling the plug on the idea.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:58 pm

Neeginan wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 am
Update - does not fit.

Due to the angles and articulation of the control arm, the sumospring would only be about 50% on the actual vehicle frame on compression. There is an option to drill holes in the control arm and mount the sumospring further inbound, but I didn't want to go that route. I don't know if it will weaken the arm, and there would be a load on the sumosprings. So I am pulling the plug on the idea.
Sorry it did not work out.
Havent seen you on here in a while.
Hope all is well.

find_your_path_r51

Postby find_your_path_r51 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 am

Thank you for your input.
Would one be able to weld a little plate around the new drill point to compensate for the weakening? Of course it´s a major step up in work involved, depends of how important the bump stop option is for you.

Only other option I see in terms of advanced bump stops, are the airlift bags as they would at least save the shocks.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”