Rear End Feels Unstable

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

silverarrow27

Re: Rear End Feels Unstable

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:48 am

Unfortunately no new updates from me. My 2008 that I was posting about has just been sitting in the garage only getting preventative maintenance done on it. I'm almost to the rebuilding of my Radflo coilovers and shocks. Just need to finish replacing the last few cooling hoses, water pump, thermostat, and new radiator. I do have a pair of heavy duty springs from Ironman that will be going in to see how that handles once the Radflos have been rebuilt. If it's too stiff, I may order a set of their medium springs since they regularly have 25% off sales.

Definitely sounds like you may need to swap out the rear springs for their newer green ones. I've heard nothing, but good things about the new Ironman suspension.

find_your_path_r51

Postby find_your_path_r51 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:30 am

Nice to hear from you! Did not have much hope to hear from you here again.

silverarrow27 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:48 am
Definitely sounds like you may need to swap out the rear springs for their newer green ones. I've heard nothing, but good things about the new Ironman suspension.
Won´t go with Ironman again, even I´ve only heard good things about the new, green springs as well.
Might try to get Eibach to build me some custom springs. Advantage of being German lol :D

What makes me curious is the fact that the rear suspension did "okay" whith the foamcell/Ironman springs, since installing the rads there have been two or three times where loud noises came from the back when suspension did a nearly full cycle, since than silence.

Going to check if the shocks are still intact, if not i´d be very dissapointed as I did not race them hard or anything.

Regarding the springs, I had the car packed over the week, the "heavy duty" springs are definitely dead now as they sagged down to nearly binding, with just ~ 450 lbs in the back, including the Sparetire.

In conclusion: I might have damaged my new shocks through worn out crap springs and might need to change/rebuild both :cry:

Another question: Do our rear upper control arms bind up slightly at the "pocket" around the ball joint? or is it a european problem, since "code pathfinder" found out that at least our rear spring holding arms are build a tad sturdier?

P.S. I love this board, really great people around here.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:07 am

Do you overland or do you do some high speed trails? My medium OMEs are real stiff, try OME if Eibach doesn't work out for you for the springs. As for the Radflos, did you have Z1 tune it specifically for your type of driving or was it kind of "off the shelf" pair of shocks they sent you? When you get a chance, I would love to see some pictures of your rear suspension.

Our rear uca does bind slightly at the pocket.

Welcome to the forum! Definitely some great info here and I tend to check in on here every few days whenever I get a chance. Definitely easier to research on here than other social media platforms, at least imo.

find_your_path_r51

Postby find_your_path_r51 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:21 am

Hmm I´m more on the higher speed side. Reason why I did search a long time for 2.5 rear shocks, even ordered customs ones via CJD Racing, luckily order got cancled by Radflo. Later I figured out they wouldn´t fit in factory position. :lol:

Unfortunately Z1 didn´t offer custom valving for the rear Rads, only the front ones. But hey, the rears got delivered in 3 weeks to my door... The Valving doesn´t seem that off, just a bit more nitrogen/pressure might do the trick.

Complete OME Kit´s are the only way to get a road legal 2" suspension lift here in Germany (except spacers)
Can´t decide between the stiffest OMEs, the Alldogs Offroad ones+ airbags, or the MOOG 81085, which are the longest/thickest Armada spings.
(think I´ll open a new topic for this)

Y
silverarrow27 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:07 am
Welcome to the forum! Definitely some great info here and I tend to check in on here every few days whenever I get a chance. Definitely easier to research on here than other social media platforms, at least imo.
Agree! social media as a source doesn´t last that long, we do have a really good D40/R51 Board in Germany, guys there are really deep into engine/electrical repairs but in terms of lifting and suspension, nothings beats you overseas :P

I´ll post some suspension pictures this weekend

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:07 pm

I think the R51 market is fairly stuck with Radflo when it comes to "higher end" suspension. I've inquired with King Shocks since they're here in Southern CA, but they're definitely custom for our rides and they'd have to measure the R51 in person(mainly the rear since front coilovers are already available). My band-aid for my travel in the rear was basically larger tires, especially since my main rig already came with a rear subframe lift and 35" tires.

I find my medium OME rear springs stiff even with a rear 33" spare mounted and a truck full of people. I'm not sure how much you load your rear with things when going out, but if you're looking for stiff, I would definitely suggest looking at OME. On our USA models, OME springs gives us like a 2-3" lift in the rear.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”