2023 Frontier Exhaust - retrofit to R51?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

2023 Frontier Exhaust - retrofit to R51?

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 pm

I've been looking at replacing my soon to be falling apart exhaust assembly.

I've noticed that the new Frontier has a heavy duty stainless steel system. It will surely outlast whatever I will purchase after market. The tuned sound from it is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R2opom ... ah-n-Tuned

The new system has three mufflers, and looks to do away with the y connection.

Would anyone think any reason that with a couple of cuts at a muffler shop that it just doesn't bolt right up to the R51?
I can't think of any reason it won't fit / work, although it's for the 3.8 V6.

Online, the downstream cats and the cross pipe on the 2022 Frontier are direct fits to the R51.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2023 Frontier Exhaust - retrofit to R51?

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 pm
I've been looking at replacing my soon to be falling apart exhaust assembly.

I've noticed that the new Frontier has a heavy duty stainless steel system. It will surely outlast whatever I will purchase after market. The tuned sound from it is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R2opom ... ah-n-Tuned

The new system has three mufflers, and looks to do away with the y connection.

Would anyone think any reason that with a couple of cuts at a muffler shop that it just doesn't bolt right up to the R51?
I can't think of any reason it won't fit / work, although it's for the 3.8 V6.

Online, the downstream cats and the cross pipe on the 2022 Frontier are direct fits to the R51.
Sounds like you should be good to go.
It will obviously not be a bolt-on, but if a competent muffler shop is involved I dont see why not.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:10 pm

Alas, I was in dire need this weekend. The cross pipe was bad and I had my local exhaust shop make a custom Y-tube that connected the two cats to the muffler. The new Frontier exhaust will be a future endeavor, if this piece ever rots away.

So I basically have a 2-piece exhaust instead of the three.

He did a very good job TBH.

The Walker muffler, apparently stainless steel, has held up perfect for 5 salty Canadian winters, and it resonates perfectly. The weak points of the system are the connecting pipes to the muffler, which rotted out slowly.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:31 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:10 pm
Alas, I was in dire need this weekend. The cross pipe was bad and I had my local exhaust shop make a custom Y-tube that connected the two cats to the muffler. The new Frontier exhaust will be a future endeavor, if this piece ever rots away.

So I basically have a 2-piece exhaust instead of the three.

He did a very good job TBH.

The Walker muffler, apparently stainless steel, has held up perfect for 5 salty Canadian winters, and it resonates perfectly. The weak points of the system are the connecting pipes to the muffler, which rotted out slowly.
Awww, too bad. I was so looking forward to someone pioneering that new Gen Frontier stuff.. :o

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm

Never fear.

I will probably do this in the Fall. The price to ship an exhaust to my location was prohibitive so I have to drive to the states and pick one up if the costs are reasonable.

The muffler or something else will eventually degrade up here (salt).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”