2011 Nissan Pathfinder - New battery yet still dies

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

SuperBlackPathy11

2011 Nissan Pathfinder - New battery yet still dies

Postby SuperBlackPathy11 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:07 pm

Our 2011 Nissan Pathfinder LE had the battery changed under warranty and after driving for 2 weeks with no issues, the truck will not start. No power or anything. I jumped it with the portable jumper and it cranks with no issues. Happened twice yesterday and again as of now. I tested the battery and charging system and it all tested good. What could be causing this?

VStar650CL

Re: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder - New battery yet still dies

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:38 pm

Sounds like maybe you have a draw. If it has a Bose sound system, the amp is under the seat and they're kind of infamous for getting wet and the corner of the board with the "amp on" pullup resistor rotting away. Could also be a bad field circuit in the alternator or a radio with a leaky backup circuit. Those are both pretty common. Of course check all the power and ground cables too, you could have an intermittent connection.

SuperBlackPathy11

Postby SuperBlackPathy11 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:57 pm

Found out the fusible link on the positive terminal was the issue. As of now I have the new fusible link installed on the truck and there are 0 connection issues. However, prior to that we were getting a service engine light showing which was P0603 code the day before I installed the new fusible link. Now with the new fusible link the code disappeared after a day of driving. With that being said, the wife drove it around and when starting the vehicle, no dash lights appear. After driving for a few minutes, she now has the VDC OFF, SLIP, BRAKE and ABS lights showing. The SES light is not showing at this time however, the other warning lights only appear after moving the vehicle. When I went ahead and tested for any codes after this, there are none permanently stored in the vehicle ECM. What is happening here? Is the vehicle still safe to drive?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:14 am

You probably have codes in the ABS, you'll need a better scanner that can read it. The free scanners at most parts stores can read ABS, tranny, and SRS in addition to the engine.

SuperBlackPathy11

Postby SuperBlackPathy11 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:05 pm

I took the truck to the parts store to read any additional codes my scanner could not pick up. As of now I have the C1140 Actuator Relay Line and the C1163 Parking Brake #2 Release Input Circuit Short to Ground codes showing. All of this is too coincidental. I cleared the codes and yet they returned. Any input on this or what to do next? I want to avoid taking the truck to the dealership or any shop for that matter.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:59 pm

C1163 is a steering angle code meaning the ABS has gone failsafe. It's derivative and should clear when you address the underlying issue, which is the C1140. The ABS relays are inside the unit, so if you have solid power and ground to the ABS, it means the unit is shot. Pay particular attention to ground, Nissan ABS's always have a dedicated ABS ground wire. That means a rusty bolt can affect the ABS by itself without causing any issues in the rest of the vehicle systems. Mama Nico will have a complete FSM for your ride here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

The ground layout will be found in this section:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 1%2FPG.pdf

Return to “General Automotive”