Rear A/C lines

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

outoforder

Rear A/C lines

Postby outoforder » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:01 pm

My mechanic tells me that I have a leak in the rear A/C lines. He’s not sure how to fix it-said he could only see it with a mirror. I wouldn’t mind just capping those lines off if possible-I certainly don’t use the rear vents. I have vague memories of reading about solutions here, but can’t remember where. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Rear A/C lines

Postby blink32 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:37 pm

The official solution is to lift the body off to get to those lines. Loosen the body mounts and such and you could probably squeeze it.

You couldn’t just cap the lines themselves. It’s a closed circuit so it’d have to be looped back I would imagine. Check out the service manual for ideas.

VStar650CL

Re: Rear A/C lines

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:49 am

The front and rear evaps are teed "in parallel" with separate expansion valves, so you should just be able to simply cap or pinch the lines to the rear and recharge using the amount for a non-rear system. Because the evaps are parallel, as long as the lines are capped at or past the tees at the front firewall, you shouldn't have any problem.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”