Passenger Airbag Warning Light on or off?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Passenger Airbag Warning Light on or off?

Postby blink32 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:28 am

Shouldn't the "Passenger Airbag is OFF" light be illuminated when the pax seat is EMPTY/no weight detected?
2006 R51 with the large circular pax Airbag warning light on the left of the HVAC controls under the Hazard Lights button.

The bulb is working as it illuminates during vehicle startup/ON. The seat weight switch is functioning as I can see it activate in my scan tool when I sit in the seat or get out. Same with the seat belt lock sensors. Nothing appears to be malfunctioning, no flashing airbag light on main console and no current codes in the system.

I feel like since purchase to -3 days ago the light would only go off if someone was sitting in the seat. Then I opened up the center console and dash to remove a Pac-Audio device to return the vehicle to stock, which requires unplugging several connectors, including the one to that light. None of the airbag connectors, wiring or devices under the center console were worked on. I did power up the vehicle several times with the console opened up and that bulb disconnected. After putting everything back together the Airbag light on the main cluster was flashing and a B1023 code (Passenger airbag indicator circuit) was logged. I reset the warning light and left the B1023 as a legacy code in history. When I scan for current codes it finds no issues. Seems like I undid a setting that other/later models had a recall for where Nissan enabled the light to be on all the time except when someone sat down.

Posting here because it seems better than Electrical.

VStar650CL

Re: Passenger Airbag Warning Light on or off?

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:59 am

ASIST only shows two recalls on the '06's, the Crash Zone sensor and the driver's bag emblem, and neither one affected operation of the PABI. The R51's never got the P7318 recall which affected the Bag Brain, that was reserved to Titan-Frontier-Xterra. So there's really nothing you could have undone. Nissan models with OCS prior to about '13 all had PABI's that went out if the seat was unoccupied, so it sounds like yours is completely normal.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:17 am

Those were my findings as well. It just doesn't make sense as I am positive that light was always on until someone sat down/heavy load was detected. It being off stood out to me immediately. And I know the other model/yr owners hate the fact that their recall turned the light on but it makes sense to me as a visual representation that things were working as expected. Oh well, if I don't get confirmation from other early R51 owners I'll be content knowing the weight switch is actually working.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:07 pm

OCS deals with both the seat cushion and the seat-belt pre-tensioner.

if you click in the passenger seat belt with no one sitting, I would imagine the light activates to disable the air bag for passenger side thinking there is a light weight occupant there / heavy weight occupant missing.

Sorry to edit. My light is always off when no one is sitting in the seat, and the bulb works.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:05 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:07 pm
if you click in the passenger seat belt with no one sitting, I would imagine the light activates to disable the air bag for passenger side thinking there is a light weight occupant there / heavy weight occupant missing.

Sorry to edit. My light is always off when no one is sitting in the seat, and the bulb works.
Thanks for the reply. I'll test that out today as well. That would make sense, light on if belt clicked and no/light weight on seat. No idea why this is stuck in my mind that the light was always on.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”