Dead alternator...?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

00pathySE

Dead alternator...?

Postby 00pathySE » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Hello all,

Today leaving the house, the Pathfinder went into limp mode and has what sounds like a whine coming from the alternator along with a burning smell. Multimeter shows that it is running on battery power only, around 11v when I checked it, and not the 13-14v you'd expect. I swapped batteries and it seemed to have engine power again, but still the whine and the smell, and only 11-12v. Is it safe to say the alternator needs replacing or could it be something else? No issues prior to today. Thanks for your suggestions.

ShipFixer

Re: Dead alternator...?

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:47 pm

00pathySE wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Hello all,

Today leaving the house, the Pathfinder went into limp mode and has what sounds like a whine coming from the alternator along with a burning smell. Multimeter shows that it is running on battery power only, around 11v when I checked it, and not the 13-14v you'd expect. I swapped batteries and it seemed to have engine power again, but still the whine and the smell, and only 11-12v. Is it safe to say the alternator needs replacing or could it be something else? No issues prior to today. Thanks for your suggestions.
Yeah you probably need a new alternator. Mine went sort of like that but with no noise or burning smell, just noticed the battery light was on while driving once it got below threshold.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:46 am

I don't want to drive it with that burning smell going on. It would be nice to know if this is a normal way an alternator can fail so I could be confident the smell is coming from the alternator and not somewhere else.

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:57 am

I just replaced mine last weekend. If your valve covers are leaking, that burning smell could be oil dripping into your alternator. That is what caused mine to stop working. On the bright side, I get to put new aluminum valve covers on tomorrow!

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:44 pm

sure seems like the symptoms of a bad alternator.
any immediate noise when starting the truck?

if you are not sure of the whine, take off the belt, start it up and see if it cancels out.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:42 pm

I removed the alternator and it's definitely toast. Burnt and barely spins. Have the new one on order. Thanks for the replies.

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Power steering pump and reservoir also not far above the alternator, look for drips.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:20 pm

I've always had luck from the wreckers/recycler when getting an alternator.
OEM and they usually test them prior to selling them.

years ago, I had a Saab 9-5 and it was near $1200 CAD for OEM. GM Robbers they are.
Went to Oakville LKQ and was able to get a 30Km one off a one year old car for $80. 60-90 day warranties and the sucker lasted until the engine through a bearing 5 years later.

Good friend did the same on a Ford Fusion. Worked for 5-6 years until he sold the car entirely. I think Ford wanted over $1400.

I have a spare on the shelf I grabbed from a local recycler for $50 if an when I need it, It's literally brand new off of something that had less than 10k km on it. Lucky.

Just an option.

I'm fearless when it comes to getting items from the recyclers LOL.

Return to “R51 Electrical”