POR-15 on Random Things

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Re: POR-15 on Random Things

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:07 pm

Tackled something on the back burner: I removed my rear sway bar and its brackets, and resurfaced the sections where the bushings clamp onto it. I had just been tossing new OEM bushings in there, but there was a fair amount of rust pitting and bubbles, plus stuck-on old rubber that meant the bar was never going to swing smoothly or stay tight over time.

After some wire brushing and sanding, I filled in the pits with POR-15's patch filler, which is kind of like a thicker version of POR-15. Then painted the entire bar with POR-15. I painted the brackets as well, but the surface is so bad they are always going to be ugly.

I waited a couple days, then once it was cured and solid I lightly sanded it to get it as smooth as possible with POR-15. Put in some fresh OEM bushings and new Moog end links at both ends, and it once again all feels new!

Speaking of which, I have poly bushings in the front from Siberian Bushings. Slightly stiffer than Prothane or Energy, and they come unsplit so you can cut them where you prefer. For the rear, a company called Suspension Dudes finally made a poly sway bar bushing that fits our rear bars. But it is crazy stiff. It's definitely the right size, but I couldn't get enough upwards force on the bracket to install them myself with the truck down on its wheels. Will have to try them with the truck up on a rack.

silverarrow27

Re: POR-15 on Random Things

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 pm

Nice, I have the same front Siberian bushings on my v8 from them.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”