Rear lift Gate Hatch

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

NWPathfinder

Rear lift Gate Hatch

Postby NWPathfinder » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:20 pm

Hey All,

Been a long time, hope everyone is doing well! I know it's cold out so Hydraulic Struts don't work as well but, does anybody have a good recommendation for rear struts for the back hatch. I replaced all 4 a few years ago. The glass ones pop out and up super quick and hold the glass up.

However, I've tried 2 sets of different ones for the rear hatch. One from our local retailer and even a set from Nissan themselves and I still have to "help" my hatch open. It holds and stays open just fine but, it doesn't lift fluidly up by itself.

Any thoughts, or recommendations on where to get rear struts??

TooMuchControl

Re: Rear lift Gate Hatch

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:05 pm

I've actually just sound deadened my rear hatch, and the additional weight, plus cold temperatures mean that my lift supports are not good enough.

I recall from an earlier threads healthy discussion over lift supports under "rear hatch hydraulics" and McMaster Carr makes suitable ones that solve our issues.

For me, I'm going to order the 225 lb ones, but I'm in Toronto and have to send to a US address or something. I will be reaching out to them tomorrow.

NVSteve I think is one of the members that went for the 225 lbs ones and this hatch opens nicely.
old but great video clip!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/5342126346/

https://www.mcmaster.com/9416K149 (225 lbs)
https://www.mcmaster.com/9416K148 (200 lbs)

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:18 am

Interesting, can't see the video as I don't have an account but, interesting about the struts. I guess you'd have to buy the proper ends to clamp on to the fixtures too then. I may just have to go that route as I'm tired of the hatch always a pain to open. I too am in Canada way out west, so may send to my friend in Washington and have them "relay" them for me.

Thank you.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:40 pm

Unsure on what happened on the link. I viewed it on a thread, "here" under "rear hatch hydraulics" and it shows up without an account.

I'm not sure how to link the thread for this. Sorry about that.

EDIT:

So I wound up ordering the 225 lb version.

CRC11007

Postby CRC11007 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Over 5 years ago, I replaced mine with the 200lb
McMaster lifters. You just unscrew the ends off your old ones and thread them onto the new ones. Super easy job, and the rear hatch opens fully and easily, regardless of the temperature.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:54 pm

Finally installed. Wow. These are fantastic.
I had M6 threaded connectors on my older ones, so I had to order through Amazon a kit of 4 M8 for this little project.

I did order the 225 lb version and they are just right (for me) as I've added weight to the hatch for sound deadening.

It isn't hard at all to close, and I can stand underneath the middle hatch now (I'm 6') which is perfect. No smacking the head on the corner edge.

I think the 200lbs are the right ones for those that have not added any weight to the hatch.

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:00 am

I've also had good luck with the McMaster struts but you have to remember that 2 struts need 4 threaded ends not just 2...

While we are one the liftgate subject: Mine rattles like crazy. I've shifted the clasp and latch pieces and tightened them down. I put some white lithium grease inside the latch mechanism. It seems to make it quieter for a few days and then back to rattling when I hit every little crack in the asphalt. Has anyone replaced the latch mechanism? 90502-CY00A supposedly fits 2010, but the options are expensive through a dealer, or suspiciously cheap through eBay.

Any other ideas?

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:08 pm

Assuming you have inspected the mounting and tried adjustments.

Is the beige slider piece, not the white plastic piece, inside the latch housing intact.
Not cracked or split/broken? I think some have reported or I've seen posts elsewhere, where folks have seen this split.

If it is, latch needs to be replaced.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:53 pm

bozoneX wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:00 am
I've also had good luck with the McMaster struts but you have to remember that 2 struts need 4 threaded ends not just 2...

While we are one the liftgate subject: Mine rattles like crazy. I've shifted the clasp and latch pieces and tightened them down. I put some white lithium grease inside the latch mechanism. It seems to make it quieter for a few days and then back to rattling when I hit every little crack in the asphalt. Has anyone replaced the latch mechanism? 90502-CY00A supposedly fits 2010, but the options are expensive through a dealer, or suspiciously cheap through eBay.

Any other ideas?
I'd take the plastic inner liner off and look throughout the cable run and make sure it's not just rattling somewhere else. I've never had mine rattle, but my sound insulation has messed with it before and prevented it from locking reliably.

That being said, the primary culprit of noises from the hatch in my truck is that plastic inner liner. It likes to come loose at the top near the high mounted stoplight, and I have to whack it back into place from time to time. Getting all of its clips in the right place and secure when replacing it over your head is a pretty neat trick.

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

I'll make a separate thread and video once the weather warms up. I know how tricky the plastic is and I don't want to break it in the cold.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”