05 Pathfinder LE - Replacement Rear Cupholder Parts

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

BCPathfinder

05 Pathfinder LE - Replacement Rear Cupholder Parts

Postby BCPathfinder » Wed May 01, 2024 11:40 am

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me - my ancient Pathfinder has a broken rear cupholder. Of course, the parts are difficult to find but what is also difficult is to figure what the correct part is. I have the LE Pathfinder with the rear climate controls in the brown interior (Cafe Latte I think they called it). On the Nissan Parts site, it says that the parts I need is this one - part 96965-ZP00C:

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan_20 ... ZP00C.html

What I can't tell is a) if the is the right colour (mine is brown, this is black) and b) whether I need other parts? I'd welcome any suggestions that anyone can offer. I've had this machine since new so have acres of memories tied up in and am trying to keep it in good shape as long as possible.

I also found this that looks like the right configuration and is listed as fitting the 2006 and up but the 2005s, not so sure - it's part 96965-ZP00A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193147737650

Does anyone know if that would fit?

Thanks very much everyone!

VStar650CL

Re: 05 Pathfinder LE - Replacement Rear Cupholder Parts

Postby VStar650CL » Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 pm

The original p/n for cafe latte was 96965-EA000, that's why the ZP part isn't showing up as fitting your '05. However, it's a supersession, the ZP part will fit. BUT, the ZP00C is definitely the wrong color, it's graphite. You need the ZP00A, that's latte.

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Wed May 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Thank you! I think I can find this part in a few locations. So grateful for your help!

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 pm

You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 pm

So talking to the parts guy at my local Nissan dealer, he tells me that the part I ordered might not fit. This doesn't make any sense to me because when I look at the diagram for the 2005 model, it clearly shows the cupholder fitting into the console. He goes on to say that the parts I need are part of a "Service File" and that the parts in the service file are 96930-ZP16A, and 27931-ZP00A. The first is a finisher part for the centre console and the second is a heater duct. I've no idea why I'd need either of these. The finisher I have, and if the part I ordered is correct, it'll be identical to the one I'm replacing, so fit perfectly. I also don't have a heater duct that comes through the centre console - I have rear climate controls and the heater ducts are under the seat if I remember correctly, as well as in the ceiling.

Here's what I see on the Nissan Parts website:

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan__P ... ZP00A.html

The diagram shows vents where my climate controls are, but I don't see the ducting part the Parts fellow says is needed.

Is my understanding correct that the parts guy is confused about what sort of Pathfinder I have? Given its age, I wouldn't be surprised that he's unsure (he seems to be reading from some document that I don't have access to), but I'm hoping the forum hive mind can confirm what I need to do. It looks like a simple enough replacement from what I can see (though I've never taken the console apart so am a little apprehensive about doing so for fear of breaking something else!)

I've also seen that there is a TSB for this problem on NissanHelp but my efforts to register there haven't been successful, so if anyone can point me to an alternative source for that information, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat May 04, 2024 6:02 am

The parts guys tell me there is a service file, but there's a little confusion about the application. I think it applies when replacing the rear finisher and not the cupholder.

Anyway, it turns out the part you want is 96965-ZS00A. Here's the bulletin, NTB09-145:

NTB09-145 Pg1.jpg
NTB09-145 Pg2.jpg
NTB09-145 Pg3.jpg

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Sat May 04, 2024 10:45 am

Thanks again for the reply. It does seem that there is confusion on this one, as the part listed in the TSB isn't compatible with my VIN:
Nissan Parts 96965-ZS00A.png
However, the one you mentioned earlier (and that I've ordered) does:
Nissan Parts 96965-ZP00A.png
I guess we'll find out! From the TSB, it looks like I just have snap out the housing? Unfortunately, the cupholder mechanism has broken out completely, so all I'm left with is the housing shell.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat May 04, 2024 11:31 am

The ZS prefix isn't standard and I suspect it may have been created explicitly for the bulletin. The bulletin says '05 in the applied MY's, and frankly, bulletin part numbers are never wrong. Bulletins all get filed with NHTSA and the bureaucratic costs of creating one are very high, even for something as mundane as a cupholder. So extreme care goes into them. On the other hand, screwups in the parts database aren't rare, especially when (as with this part) there are multiple supersessions. So if my life depended on picking the right number, I'd go with the bulletin.

That all said, I'm pretty sure in this instance that any of the parts in the supersession chain will fit fine, EA000, ZP00A, or ZS00A. The whole reason for the bulletin appears to have been that Nissan didn't make replacement cupholders for the original production, they only listed the whole console. However, the consoles were getting replaced in such numbers that they issued a piece part, and issued the bulletin to alert techs and warranty clerks that whole consoles would no longer be covered unless damaged.

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Wed May 08, 2024 11:42 am

I ordered this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C6 ... =UTF8&th=1

Installed and have had no issues for the past year.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Yep, like I said, indications are that any of those numbers should work fine. The OP just needs the ZP00A and not the ZP00C for the color match.

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help on this. Last question (for now) anyway - are there any tips for getting the shell of the cupholder out of the housing? It looks like it just pops out but given the age of the plastic, I'm reluctant to just yank it out at risk of breaking something I can't replace. Suggestions welcomed!

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 pm

It does just pop out, but if the plastic is embrittled then you're right to be worried about it. Try applying a little WD and then warming the part up at a distance with a heat gun, a little warmth and lubrication will make it less apt to break.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”