SES Light and Mystery Noise

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

kazam

SES Light and Mystery Noise

Postby kazam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 am

Here is the problem, and the information on it.
It is a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 with a/t.
Not an everyday driver, only used intermittently.
For past 5 to 6 months the speedometer / odometer would sometimes stop working. Recently it stopped for a longer period of time. Then started back up again.
At the same time the Service Engine Soon Light came on and stayed on. Trouble code P0500, speed sensor. At the same time the SES light came on, I noticed that I have a noise when I first turn the key on, before engaging the starter. It lasts for a second or two. Very consistent, I can make it happen consistently. The noise appears to be coming from the engine compartment near the firewall on the driver's side/to maybe middle of car. I realize the noise might not be related to the SES light, but I think it is possible.
So the first thing I want to determine is where the noise is coming from.
I figure that the speedometer/od.meter situation might be an occurence where the main drive cable to the guages has snapped or been otherwise damaged.
Thanks all for any help.

kazam

more information

Postby kazam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 pm

The Sound:
It is not clicky. It is more of a solid buzz, probably, lower pitched. Not a beep. You can hear it from inside the car, assuming you dont have music on / heater ac on. Very consistent since I have identified it and started listening for it. I used to have a 99 ford explorer and you could hear the fuel pump kick on pressurizing the system once you turned the key on. This is similar length of time, but the sound is different and the sound is not coming from the fuel tank.

Return to “General Automotive”