New head unit plays for 5-10 seconds then shuts off and dies

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

falcondrgn

New head unit plays for 5-10 seconds then shuts off and dies

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi,

I have a JVC KW-AVX710 that I installed with a metra 70-7550 harness for a 2005 pathfinder nonbose factory unit. My problem is when I initially installed the unit in my truck it was working perfectly, after about 6 hours I went back to my truck to put in a different cd and when I turn on my truck the radio would play for about 10 seconds with a blank screen and then completely shut off. I am unable to turn the unit back on after that. There are 2 ground wires for my stock harness. 1 is the power amp ground and 1 is the regular ground. Since the JVC harness only has 1 ground wire, I simply grounded the power amp ground to the black JVC harness ground and taped up the black wire from my pathfinders harness. Could a bad ground be the problem? weird thing is the unit was working perfectly fine before that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm

If I understand correctly, you grounded a live wire (power amp). This wire will supply the 12V to the amp once you turn the key on and if you are not using such feature you are suppussed to leave it alone and not grounded. I think you might have smoked the unit but check to see if it has some sort of protection (fuse) that might have burn instead and replace it while leaving the wire cap and tapped. \

That's my two cents, hope it works.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I actually tried grounding all the wires and the unit still does not work, the fuse on the unit is fine, wasnt blown or anything. Im sending the unit back for a repalcement so we`ll see how that goes. Thanks for your input though

thetiger wrote:If I understand correctly, you grounded a live wire (power amp). This wire will supply the 12V to the amp once you turn the key on and if you are not using such feature you are suppussed to leave it alone and not grounded. I think you might have smoked the unit but check to see if it has some sort of protection (fuse) that might have burn instead and replace it while leaving the wire cap and tapped. \

That's my two cents, hope it works.

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 am

No Problem and good luck :)

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”