Dome Lights

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mcxstar01

Dome Lights

Postby mcxstar01 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:26 pm

I have a 2005, has anyone tried swapping out the bulbs in there dome lights and the nav lights up by the driver and passenger seats?

If you have, is it hard to get in there?

albaniandude

Re: Dome Lights

Postby albaniandude » Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 pm

mcxstar01 wrote:I have a 2005, has anyone tried swapping out the bulbs in there dome lights and the nav lights up by the driver and passenger seats?

If you have, is it hard to get in there?
Should be as easy as poping them out with a butter knife, screw driver might leave a mark so go easy on it. I got all mine changed out with LED super bright love them.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:24 am

It's not hard at all. I replaced my map lights, dome lights, and cargo light with white LEDs from superbrightLEDs.com:

Product: 3022-x9 LED Festoon- White 3022-W9

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm

goblue90 wrote:It's not hard at all. I replaced my map lights, dome lights, and cargo light with white LEDs from superbrightLEDs.com:

I've come close to ordering these in the past, but always forgot about them. How many total interior lights are there? 6 or so? I will force myself to order them this time.

Compared to stock, are these brighter?

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm

NVSteve wrote: I've come close to ordering these in the past, but always forgot about them. How many total interior lights are there? 6 or so? I will force myself to order them this time.

Compared to stock, are these brighter?
There are 5... two for the map lights, two for the dome, and one in the cargo area. They throw off a nice white glow... not sure if they're necessarily brighter... definitely more pleasing than the yellow stock lights.

mcxstar01

Postby mcxstar01 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:17 am

Nice, thanks guys appreciate the info

rodg

Postby rodg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:44 am

goblue90 wrote:It's not hard at all. I replaced my map lights, dome lights, and cargo light with white LEDs from superbrightLEDs.com:

Bought mine too from superbrightleds.com and loving it... :D

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 am

Since I have a number of LED flashlights & headlamps that I constantly use, I opted for a bit more power. I ordered 2 of these:

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/Dome ... 8-1-2.html

Not cheap by any means, but neither are any of the other LED devices I have (quality over price). Anyway, I installed them yesterday afternoon. Took me about 20 minutes to pull out the center dome light assembly. It took a substantial amount of force to get that thing out, and I was sure that I'd break it at some point. I ended up using a trim panel tool combined with my hand to yank it out. I'd love to beat the designer of the console over the head with a phonebook. I was cussing left and right.

Here's the console removed:

The light assembly:

The new LED & old bulb:

The 2nd row lights:

The new LED in the front:

The LED replacements are obviously whiter, but they are also quite a bit brighter. Very nice addition. Now I'll have to replace the rest of the bulbs. Should be great for camping now, although I'll probably attract every insect within a square mile.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:30 am

NVSteve wrote:Since I have a number of LED flashlights & headlamps that I constantly use, I opted for a bit more power. I ordered 2 of these:

Not cheap by any means, but neither are any of the other LED devices I have (quality over price). Anyway, I installed them yesterday afternoon. Took me about 20 minutes to pull out the center dome light assembly. It took a substantial amount of force to get that thing out, and I was sure that I'd break it at some point. I ended up using a trim panel tool combined with my hand to yank it out. I'd love to beat the designer of the console over the head with a phonebook. I was cussing left and right.
Looks like mine! It's so much more pleasant, right? There was no need to pull out the consoles... all you needed was a small blade flat screwdriver to slip between the lens covers and the middle portions of the consoles to pry the covers off! :)

hamncheese

Postby hamncheese » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

goblue90 wrote:
NVSteve wrote:Since I have a number of LED flashlights & headlamps that I constantly use, I opted for a bit more power. I ordered 2 of these:

Looks like mine! It's so much more pleasant, right? There was no need to pull out the consoles... all you needed was a small blade flat screwdriver to slip between the lens covers and the middle portions of the consoles to pry the covers off! :)

Replaced mine today, the poster is correct, all you need is to pop out the clear lense. Start from the side that doesn't push in. It will pop out from there then continue to pry it out to where it pushes in. Once I did it this way, took me less than five minutes to replace all of my interior dome lights

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm

I just bought mine and they are brighter and a lot whiter. Based on the other site suggestions I thought they were rather expensive.
I actually found them on retro solutions site and they were only $6.99 for 2 of them instead of $12.99 for one.
They are super easy to replace...just be careful not to pry to hard or fast to break the little plastic clips

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I want to get the dome light / sunglass holder / sunroof switch assembly out. In the pic a couple replies up it looks like there are two clips above the sunglass portion of the assembly. Is there anything else really holding it in? I tried pulling it out, and it felt really tight. Should I pull primarily from the windshield side? Any tricks?

If you're wondering, I'm hoping to fab up a bracket and mount a Scanguage2 just in front of this assembly, and get a couple bugs out of the map lights while I'm in there :)

TIA

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 19, 2011 12:50 pm

jspitz wrote:Is there anything else really holding it in? I tried pulling it out, and it felt really tight. Should I pull primarily from the windshield side? Any tricks?
If memory serves, pull from the windshield side as that is where the 2 clips are. Mine was exactly the same way, meaning that I thought I would certainly destroy something if I used any more force. I gave up using trim tools and just popped it off with my fingers/hands.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 pm

NVSteve wrote:
jspitz wrote:Is there anything else really holding it in? I tried pulling it out, and it felt really tight. Should I pull primarily from the windshield side? Any tricks?
If memory serves, pull from the windshield side as that is where the 2 clips are. Mine was exactly the same way, meaning that I thought I would certainly destroy something if I used any more force. I gave up using trim tools and just popped it off with my fingers/hands.
Since your original post in 09 when you changed to the LED bulbs, how have they held up? Still biright? Have you had to change them again? Anything you would have done different?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 20, 2011 12:43 pm

volvite wrote: Since your original post in 09 when you changed to the LED bulbs, how have they held up? Still biright? Have you had to change them again? Anything you would have done different?
Still obnoxiously bright (a good thing) & haven't replaced any of them yet. No regrets, no complaints. If anything, I'll probably be ordering up a set for the Xterra since they work so well.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”