Towing big with the Path

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:38 am

coom1986 wrote:The pathys got a 6k towing capacity so i think you should be well within the limit
6k but with or without the weight distributing hitch? The 05-06 were 5k as is, 6k w/WD Hitch. I see the 07-09 V6's are listed flat out as a 6k rating but there may be the underlying requirement of a WD in the owners manual or some other documentation.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 am

I believe that it states in the owners manual to use a W/D hitch

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 am

Just Last month I towed my tool box home from work and its over 5k lbs. I did not use a WD hitch. I had no problem with the PF and would do it again.

thejean

Postby thejean » Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Captain caveman wrote:Just Last month I towed my tool box home from work and its over 5k lbs. I did not use a WD hitch. I had no problem with the PF and would do it again.
Did you have rear air bags?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat May 09, 2009 5:59 am

No thejean. I have stock springs. I am looking at getting a set of bags.

graftoon

Postby graftoon » Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 am

Silverghost, im little confused by what u mean 2W, does your pathy have the 2W and 4W switch or its fulltime 2W???

I have and 05, and am looking for this airlift option to use when i go camping to help with all the gear i will be packing. my spring messure 4 7/8" width and 9 1/2" hight and thinking this will work for me.

graftoon

Postby graftoon » Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 am

[quote="SilverGhost"]Guess us 2-wheelers are SOL as far as the air bags are concerned. Following are exerpts from my email exchange with AirLift -

"I'm beginning to think I can't use this kit. The inside diameter of the spring is 5.25 inches, so I'm okay there. But as closely as I can measure, it's only 9.25 inches between the upper and lower rubber bump stops. I'm guessing that you require 1/2 inch more than the length of the bag to compensate for the thickness of the protector, correct?

I suppose 4WD Pathfinders have a slightly longer spring, because according to Nissan's specs, the 4WD truck stands 0.4 inches taller than the 2WD model. In fact, I confirmed with my dealer's Parts Dept that they do require different springs. They just weren't able to tell me what the difference was.

question.. how broken in are your springs? 2nd how much do they open up when you jack up the truck?

thejean

Postby thejean » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 am

Can someone describe briefly how to go about taking off the console trim pieces so I don;t wreck anything when I install my brake controller (I want to put it in the DIN slot). Thanks, JC

evo8dad

Postby evo8dad » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:51 am

I'm installing the Prodigy brake controller now but, have a quick question. The Nissan harness as 5 wires while the Prodigy harness has only 4. 3 of the 4 wires are obvious (power, ground, trailer lights) but, that leaves out 2 wires on the Nissan harness (brown/white - brk out and red/green - brk sig).

I think the brown/white would go to the remaining Prodigy harness wire ( blue - trailer brakes) but, than that leaves the red/green on the Nissan harness??

Thoughts? I know a bunch of you have installed this stuff already so hopefully someone can chime in about this in the next few minutes or so. Thanks

mcxstar01

Postby mcxstar01 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 pm

I'm on board, for the decent amount of towing I do I'm going to get a set

thejean

Postby thejean » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 pm

My 08 V8 has been towing my rally car all over Montana and Western Canada with no issues. I have air bags and also bought a WD hitch and a Prodigy controller. In the pic, the truck is also loaded with tons of tools and spare parts. Great setup. In fact, the truck handles better with the trailer on I think. JC

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Excellent setup! Which handles the gravel roads faster, your Pathfinder or the WRX? :wink:

The_David

Postby The_David » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Nice thejean
I wanna say i've seen you run in the Olypus Rally, or the Oregon Trail?

evo8dad

Postby evo8dad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:20 am

I've been running this setup for a while now with 2 long hauls to upstate New York for a National Solo Tour and than this past weekend to Devens, Massachusetts for a Solo Divisional Championship. By the way, installation was a snap, great write up

I have to say I'm damn impressed with the V6 motor. I wanted to splurge for a V8 but, couldn't for the life or me find a V8 in black like my wife wanted so we settled for the V6 since I don't tow the car on a regular basis, only to out-of-state events. The V6 really has had no problems hauling the Evo and all of our crap (myself, my wife plus our young kids and her cousin) even up and down some pretty mountainous regions.

The only thing I'd like to try and solve is the little bit of sag when the Pathfinder is fully loaded. I'm running the airbags at 30 psi on stock springs and shocks. i considering a Nissan weight distributing hitch but, don't have much experience with towing in general so I'm not sure if this will help with the sagging by redistributing the load. Suggestions?

thejean - what roof storage container is that? It looks like a Thule? What model?

Oh and here is a pick of the truck fully loaded with the Evo, family and all of our crap:

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 am

evo8dad -

Sorry to interject. The carrier is a discontinued Yakima Platinum cargo box. It's been replaced by the not-so-sweet Yakima Skybox. If you're considering a roof box, stick with Thule.

Return to “R51 General Chat”