2008 Pathy with V8

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Krafty

2008 Pathy with V8

Postby Krafty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:53 am

I was cruising Autoblog.com and founds some pics and information on the 08 Pathy. Looks like the 5.6L V8 will be available and a 6 speed transmission. I'm very happy with the 4.0 but I'm sure some people will take the V8. Not sure how this will effect the towing ratings.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/01/chic ... athfinder/

MK

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am

So f-n unfair, I would have killed for that V8 if they offered it from the get go but for the money The 07 Tundra with the 5.7L would probably be my next trade. Not a huge fan of the interior and exterior changes, they seem like an afterthought and I can't say they go with the flow of the rest of the interior. The front end was fine all they needed to lose was the overabundance of plastichrome which they didn't. The rims are FUG to boot, this updates only saving grace would be the addition of the Endurance V8 and the 7" color display on everything above the S model.
Also no mention of suspension or drivetrain upgrades the SUV could definately use an LSD or locker, and the US market rear springs need to be replaced.

Krafty

Postby Krafty » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:32 pm

This post has more information regarding specific changes.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/02/niss ... 08-trucks/
I like the 07 Tundra as well. If I ever end up getting a Travel Trailer I'll look at that, the Titan and the Armada.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:43 am

Dont like the chrome or the wheels .... V8 .... Dont know why you would need it ... the V6 has plenty of power to get me in trouble .... I guess if you were towing alot it would help .... ( Got lucky , judge droped my 81 in a 55 ticket on a technicality !!! ) Sweet !!

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 pm

its the same reason that chevy who had a wholly adequate I6 in the trailblazer had to add a v8 with marginally better performance.

cause the american car buying public are morons "no offense" :)

"I am man.. must have v8, no little gayboy 6cyl for me, whoo-ah"

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty cynical about it too actually. I think sales of the Titan and Armada are down so much that they need to find additional places to put V8s to keep the production volume on those motors up high enough to keep the production line reasonably profitable.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Krafty wrote:This post has more information regarding specific changes.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/02/niss ... 08-trucks/
I like the 07 Tundra as well. If I ever end up getting a Travel Trailer I'll look at that, the Titan and the Armada.
Wow I hate it when publications lack consistency at the top of the article they make it sound like they punched the engine up 1/10 of a liter. If you read further down they say the engine is carried over from the last year. You have to admit the changes are minimal at best. In the Titan they nix'd the off road package and made it it's own model, but at least it loses the excessive chrome. Kudos on the LWB models.

Although to a certain extent I somewhat agree with mprtklr and Carl. I think that the V8 is a good move, could have used it towing that loaded 6x12 from CT to WV and back this past summer. Besides if more power was such a bad thing racer ZX wouldn't have agreed to have that Stillen blower installed. Plus the V8 option doesn't require high test or any special maint. That extra low end grunt could actually help folks maintain decent (relatively speaking) fuel eco in real life driving situations.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:16 am

I am all for the biggest engine that can be stuffed in the smallest package. Its not like they are forcing buyers to only get the 8. The 6 is the base engine still. I would have paid extra for an 8, not because I feel the 6 "is little gayboy" but because of my plans for this vehicle. I specifically have kept my full size chevy pickup with its v8 for heavy towing purposes. But could have ditched it in favor of a single vehicle with the power to truly multi-task. 6k towing capacity with a WD hitch is nice, but not when I need to drag an 8k load and try to hump up an incline with it.

And for commuting I have my 4cylinder beater ;)

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:49 am

i understand my comment was a bit harsh, but dont expect a 9k towing capacity with a pathfinder with a titan v8. the IRS is not capable of it. you would need a solid rear axle to get any sort of "heavy duty" towing. so a v8 in a pathfinder is merely a marketing ploy. Not for towing or usage. am i wrong?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Your comments are fine, I've got an open mind. But I think what I'm getting at is even if the capacity doesn't increase, the ease of which you can accomplish particular tasks can be. 6k load @ 270hp/291tq vs 300+hp/300+tq and a driver will feel a difference. The 6 does a totally adequate job. I have no complaints for what I've used it for. To me its just like the Tundra, or the Titan. First time foreign motor companies have really produced pickups that can compete with certain sectors of the american truck market. If they can improve on it without making it a requirement then I welcome it.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:46 pm

They are currently giving a tow rating of 7,000lbs for the Pathy V8. I beleive the V8 Dakotas are touting a 7500lbs capacity. Seeming there is no mention of a auto leveling package for the rear this seems to be a move strictly for go and not so much tow. The V8 models offer no off road package, are the only models that come with 18" wheels. It also seems that Nissan is dropping Rancho in favor of Bilstein for the Off Road pkg (bout time).

The Armada is currently sporting a 9200lbs tow rating and it is also an IRS.
Shared Transmission/frame (slighlty modified)/engine. I'm thinking the decreased tow rating has to do with factors such as curb weight, track, and wheelbase. It's a Midsize not a full size, in fact I think the sort of pissing contest that GM, Toyota, and Ford have initiated with their pickups capable of towing over 5 tons is a bit silly. I for one would be looking for a diesel if I needed to lug that much.
I'll personally try to hold off until the 2011's come out to replace the Path. I have a feeling there will be a diesel revival around that time. Toyota purchased a large chunk of Isuzu from GM within the last 12 mo. Nissan already has their own diesel division. I've heard plenty of rumors for a diesel Titan planned for the next redesign.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I too am waiting for a diesel move in the market. I was choosing between a 3/4 ton GM 2500 Diesel Longbed CrewCab and the Pathfinder.

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:36 pm

see thats a good point. The last bastion of hope for the american large truck sector is the oversize towing. Such as large trailers, boats, etc. I have several friends with boats and trailers that are in the 15,000 - 17,000 lb range. Several of them have said that they would buy a nissan or toyota, save for a lack of a large capable diesel engine. So once they do release super heavy duty style trucks, American manufacturers will have even more of a challenge.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:38 pm

blink32 wrote:I too am waiting for a diesel move in the market. I was choosing between a 3/4 ton GM 2500 Diesel Longbed CrewCab and the Pathfinder.
Wow that is sorta like comparing Apples to Radio Flyers

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:14 am

Fofiddy wrote:Wow that is sorta like comparing Apples to Radio Flyers
Your not the first to say that. I wanted a pickup, the wife wanted me to get a SUV type vehicle. I wanted the space for at-least 5. I also wanted space to sleep inside (I use my vehicles as mini-campers). I have a pickup and realize the usefulness of a long bed. I was too tall to sleep in the xterra, 4runner and the other offerings had odd configurations. Didn't like the driving aspects of the Ford's or Chevy's. Narrowed it down in about 2 weeks to those two. When the Chevy guys played dumb on a 2k markup on the diesel I got the Pathy.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”