Question about Aftermarket radio install in a 09 SE

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Wizzard005

Question about Aftermarket radio install in a 09 SE

Postby Wizzard005 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey all,

We looking around and I havent found one picture of a radio installed in a 09+ Pathfinder.

Any of you have anything installed yet? Or know if other forums where people are talking about this?

I was looking at the 08's and some of them seem to have the old dash style and some look like the 09, unless people on sound domain are listing them as a 08 even know they are a 09

Anyways, I was thinking of installing JL Clean Sweep in the SUV, but there are allot of mixed reviews and before i spend 500 bucks on that system I want to make sure that there is no way to install a aftermarket radio in the truck.

If you can install a aftermarket radio, can you still keep the rear view backup cam?

thanks for your time all..

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:52 pm

It's doable. Without knowing exactly which stereo you have, I couldn't offer you a direct link, but if you go to

www.crutchfield.com

you can enter your info and they'll show you the options for your vehicle

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:35 pm

It doesnt say anything for the 09, it says it uses a normal dash kit witch i think is wrong..

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:10 pm

any aftermarket piece will work/install fine on ur pathy.

all indash DVD receivers have more than one video input, one of them can be integrated for the rear view camera. (done it on an Xterra with a pioneer AVH 6000 series.)

only problem is ull lose the options like trip computer, and fuel economy levels, and all that stuff that comes integrated into the default nissan software. didnt figure out how to integrate that into the new screen yet.

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 am

So what kind of connection does the rear view cam have on it? By all means I am not a newb when it comes to this, just dont know how the path is set up vs cars I have done...

Here is my past installs

http://wizzard005.smugmug.com/gallery/5 ... SSf#P-1-16

Path is going to get a lift and then Complete Audio setup, just dont know if i want to keep the factory screen or install navi in it.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 am

the pic u have there is the 09 ??

different than what we got here. heres mine:

anyways the installation we did was on an xterra (pioneer w/ screen) and a pathfinder with an already built-in screen (in the pic)
the pioneer had 2 video inputs, and one wierd looking connector for nav.

the camera has a power wire and 2 yellow video cables (labeled in and out)

the out is connected to ur screen (JL cleansweep im guessing) and the "in" is just sitting there. we connected the dvd unit to the "in" of the camera, and it just worked.

when u put in reverse, the rear view camera automatically overrides the dvd and comes up. shift the gear and dvd unit comes back up.

for navigation on the Xterra, we connected a Garmin to the Nav input and u can navigate via the touch screen on the pioneer.

for navigation on the pathfinder, we connected a garmin in parrallel to the DVD input and the rear camera, with a video relay switch.

the switch is default on for the DVD, when u turn off the dvd, the nav comes up.

at any time, rear view camera overrides any input when reversing.

hope this helps. cheers.

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 am

mar1nasr wrote:the pic u have there is the 09 ??

different than what we got here. heres mine:

anyways the installation we did was on an xterra (pioneer w/ screen) and a pathfinder with an already built-in screen (in the pic)
the pioneer had 2 video inputs, and one wierd looking connector for nav.

the camera has a power wire and 2 yellow video cables (labeled in and out)

the out is connected to ur screen (JL cleansweep im guessing) and the "in" is just sitting there. we connected the dvd unit to the "in" of the camera, and it just worked.

when u put in reverse, the rear view camera automatically overrides the dvd and comes up. shift the gear and dvd unit comes back up.

for navigation on the Xterra, we connected a Garmin to the Nav input and u can navigate via the touch screen on the pioneer.

for navigation on the pathfinder, we connected a garmin in parrallel to the DVD input and the rear camera, with a video relay switch.

the switch is default on for the DVD, when u turn off the dvd, the nav comes up.

at any time, rear view camera overrides any input when reversing.

hehe , I am a bit lost :P Did you say you have a clean sweep in the pathfinder?

Thats what i am intrested in doing, but i want to be able to control the vol with the factory controls.

I dont get what you mean by the xterra , it has a Rockford setup with the navi on top of the dash...

Am i missing something lol??
hope this helps. cheers.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:12 pm

sorry yeah i was a bit unclear.

on the Xterra, we completely removed the stock head unit and replaced with a pioneer screen system. To integrate it into the steering wheel controls, there is a small interface (costs about $50 here) that connects the steering wheel buttons to the pioneer device.

for the pathfinder, the interface thingy would not work, cause the steering wheel controls are linked directly to the screen computer.

instead, we just connected the dvd audio to the AUX jack built-into the stock unit.
switch to AUX, and steering wheel now controls sound volume only, but hey.. its still good. remote control for the dvd/nav.

personal note: be careful with the wiring in teh steering wheel cause the ECU wires pass along the same ties (Cruise control and stuff)
remove a battery plug before installing.

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:22 pm

So have you had your dash apart? I am wondering if the vol knob is a separate piece? If it is, I would be able to install the clean sweep with the vol knob in the factory location with little mods

In my case that would be ideal...

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 pm

in my pathfinder, the vol knob is standalone(bottom far-left corner of the controls), but i dont know if the cleansweep accepts an external vol. control ?

the knob on the far-right side is for tuning

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm

thats what i wanted to hear :) Yes, I can take the factory knob apart and use the clean sweep one in its place. I belive that will work really well. I gotta tag the speaker wires behind the factory deak anyways, so cool, that will work.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 am

dont forget the pix when done

cheers

Wizzard005

Postby Wizzard005 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 pm

since this is the only nissan pathfinder forum, I will do full write ups on everything that gets done to the pathfinder...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”