Question about towing a rental trailer.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Question about towing a rental trailer.

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:56 pm

I am about to rent a 5 X 8 enclosed trailer to move some stuff long distance. I have never towed a "rental" trailer of this size.
The rental place doesnt reccommend towing over 45MPH. That is gonna be some slow progress on about a 1300 mile trip.

What speeds have any of you towed such a trailer at? I aint looking at making any towing/ speed records... I am just hoping that 60 to 65 mph might be ok instead of 45. :(

08OR

Postby 08OR » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

I've towed said trailer roughly same distance at speeds you mention w/o any problems (in an older 4 banger 4x4). Trailer/tongue weight are important factors you should take into consideration. If towing much weight, drive accordingly.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 pm

You will be fine. Just drive safe and give good stopping distance. I've towed many trailers at highway speeds with no problems. Make sure your lights are operating correctly; lock and chain the trailer toung to the PF. Have fun and get pics. We love pics here at TNP

MonkeyMike

Re: Question about towing a rental trailer.

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:14 am

BMXPath wrote:I am about to rent a 5 X 8 enclosed trailer to move some stuff long distance. I have never towed a "rental" trailer of this size.
The rental place doesnt reccommend towing over 45MPH. That is gonna be some slow progress on about a 1300 mile trip.

What speeds have any of you towed such a trailer at? I aint looking at making any towing/ speed records... I am just hoping that 60 to 65 mph might be ok instead of 45. :(
as long at it has "normal" wheels/tires you should be fine. the ones that you need to worry about are the trailers with the tiny wheels.

~mike

TheRath

Postby TheRath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 am

I'm new to the forum having purchased an 05 SE about 8 months ago. I recently moved from Denver to Baltimore and towed a 4'x8' trailer that weighed approx. 2000 lbs. I had absolutely no problems. At times, especially in Kansas, I could barely even tell the trailer was there.

Thanks to this forum, I also installed the Air Lift 1000 prior to towing. Worked great. Improves handling and reduced all rear sag due to the extra weight.

(I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it!)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”