tire and brake replacements

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

tire and brake replacements

Postby jspitz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:47 am

My '06 LE is coming up on 56k and the OEM General Grabber AW tires are close to the wear limit - in other words, I've been sliding around on them for a couple months :shock:

I'm looking at Goodyear Fortera TripleTred ($182 at TireRack) and General Grabber HTS ($128). Both have stellar ratings at TireRack, but the Goodyears have 10 X the reported mileage. Any thoughts or suggestions? I need on-road tires, with good snow/ice performance.

I'll have a trusted independent mechanic friend of mine do the brakes. Front pads are nearly gone, rears had a few more mm to go at the 52.5k oil change, so I figured I might as well do all four corners. Any recommendations for pads/rotors? The OEMs did OK, but always felt a little undersized for the weight of the truck. I know different pads/rotors will probably not make a huge difference, but figured I'd throw the question out there. For a caliper rebuild kit, should I go w/ Nissan or just get AutoZone/Napa/whatever?

TIA

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 am

At 54000 I replaced my tires with Yokahama Geolanders which I have had experiance on Jeep's. On the Path, they worked grear in the snow & ice we had in Seattle last winter- nothing like you get back east.
As far as brakes, I'm using Akebono Proceramis pads & Stillen rotors on the front. Back are still stock. There is a marked improvement is stopping power now.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm

The Fortera TripleTreds are awesome on the Pathfinder. I have ~23k miles on my set, probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of tread life remaining. Great traction all around and they really firmed up the handling.

I can't comment on snow/ice performance, but I'd recommend them as solid tires.

Ride2Live

Tires and Brakes

Postby Ride2Live » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:03 pm

I went with the General HTS tires and love them so far. They are rated very well on Tire rack and other off road magazines rate them #1 all season tire.

As far as brakes I just did mine this weekend. I took the rotors to a local friend to get them turned and grabbed a set of pads from the dealer. I drive pretty agressive and think the OEM's are great as well as the rotors.

I'm just curious why you would rebuild your calipers? are they leaking, sticking? or are you just talking about the hardware ie. clips for the pads. I used brake cleaner on my hardware and they are like new still.

Pete

trance34

Postby trance34 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:11 pm

I am also around 54k, I just replaced tires and brakes.

For tires I went with Bridgestone Dueler A/T revos

And for brakes I did EBC rotors and EBC green stuff pads. I didn't need to rebuild mt calipers.

jspitz

Re: Tires and Brakes

Postby jspitz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:40 am

Ride2Live wrote:I'm just curious why you would rebuild your calipers? are they leaking, sticking? or are you just talking about the hardware ie. clips for the pads. I used brake cleaner on my hardware and they are like new still.
No - blow out the piston, re-lube, and replace seals. Cheap preventative maintenance as recommended by my mechanic friend. He swears by it, and I've had zero stuck (or replaced) calipers after he started maintaining my cars. Before is another story.

I also tend to keep cars well over 100k, so this only gets done 2-3 times per car. Absolutely necessary? Probably not, but it has worked pretty well so far...

Npath

Re: tire and brake replacements

Postby Npath » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:56 pm

You may want to consider ceramic brake pads for the fronts. With that, also suggest slotted disc brakes, not drilled out discs.

As for tires, I recently discovered Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. They are an A/T tire and has a very aggressive tread design. More aggressive than the BF Goodrich A/T KO's.

They are priced relatively close to each other. Another item for you to consider if you missed them.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:39 am

I just installed about a month ago a set of Firestone Destination A/T's. I love the tires. they have done everything that I have asked of them so far. they are just a quiet on the road as my stock General Grabber all-seasons. they were also rated as one of the best A/T's on tirerack.com. as for the brakes i went with the Wagner Quick-Stop ceramics.

Cliff_Jumper

Bendix brake pads

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm at 52K and the stealership told me my pads are at 10%.

Has anyone tried Bendix CQ Ceramic pads?

Also, What type are the OE pads? Are they ceramic or semi-metallic?

KEVSTER

Re: Bendix brake pads

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Cliff_Jumper wrote:I'm at 52K and the stealership told me my pads are at 10%.

Has anyone tried Bendix CQ Ceramic pads?

Also, What type are the OE pads? Are they ceramic or semi-metallic?
stock pads are semi metallic. any good brand name for ceramics is best, I like HAWK pads.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 pm

I have 33000 miles on my Forteras and lots of tread left.They are very quiet with great traction.

Cliff_Jumper

Firestone Destination

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Has anyone tried them? It looks good, both price and warranty.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp ... 6DESTATOWL

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I've had the revo's on mine for about 10K and they are great. It's got good grip and I've had no problems in the rain. We didn't get much in the way of snow last year so I won't comment on that. I'm going to replace my brakes soon, since they are probably about shot. The EBC pads are popular among the sports sedans and coupes. They grip better than stock. They have different levels and are color coded according to heat up time, which is why the green pads were mentioned.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 pm

On my pickup, I'd had very good results with std ol discs and Hawk LTS pads (Light duty truck). Worked pretty good on there, going to try it on the pathy too. I'd love to get EBCs, but they seem hard to come by these days.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”